Get Ready for Winter 2024
Get Ready soon-to-be Lakers! Our office combined useful information into THREE WINTER 2024 ZOOM CALLS. If you missed them, please find the presentations and videos below and review before arrival!
Visa Application |
Living on-campus is proven to help you do better academically and socially and provides added security. You will transition into the community better and make the most of your time here!
You need to organize your housing BEFORE you arrive to GVSU. We don't have any temporary accommodations, unfortunately.
- Check out on-campus options (international students should look at transfer & graduate options).
- Review housing rates.
- Consider location: Pew Campus is downtown Grand Rapids (graduate courses) while Allendale Campus is the main campus and has the rec center & most social activities.
- PLEASE NOTE: all freshman (first semester at any college in the world) are required to live on-campus.
- You will have to pay a housing deposit of $150.00 when you apply.
- See arrival information for the earliest date you can move into GV Housing.
Make sure you apply as a transfer student! If you apply as a freshman you will be forced to live in freshman housing which mandates a meal plan and does not include shared living space or a kitchen.
Although we do not recommend this, living off campus can be much more affordable. This requires much more work on your part and we are not able to assist in organizing off-campus housing.
Here are some options to look into:
- The GVSU website has some nearby housing options.
- Bayberry and Apple Ridge which are located halfway between downtown and Allendale. This is a convenient location as it takes about 15 minutes to get to either campus and the route 50 bus (GVSU campus connector running every 6 minutes) has stops near both apartment complexes
- Craigslist is a website where you can list things for sale, apartments for rent, etc. BE CAREFUL as this is not a vetted site, which means anyone can list here. You should at least Skype with them before making any decisions! I have had several friends find rooms in a house this way but it does put more responsibility on you since there isn’t a company overseeing the site or individual listings. It's practically the wild west!
- Show me the rent.com
- Off-campus Housing List is an Excel file our office created detailing some of the options in popular locations near or between campuses
If you want to look into this option, you should consider the following questions:
- What is the monthly cost?
- Are utilities included? (additional costs for gas, electricity, garbage, internet)
- Is it furnished? (most places you must bring your own bed, tables, chairs, even refrigerator sometimes!)
- Is there a required security deposit? How much is it?
- Do you need to pay rent in advance?
- Do you need a US Social Security number?
- Does the property manager require a background check?
- Will you have to sign a lease? What are the dates on the lease?
- Where is it located? How long will it take me to get to classes?
Course Registration |
Course Registration for Graduate Students
You will need to register in MyBanner using your username and password: https://www.gvsu.edu/banner
Your program requirements are available here: https://www.gvsu.edu/gs/masters-and-doctoral-degree-programs-9.htm
Your Graduate Program Director will help you, learn who your program's Director is here: https://www.gvsu.edu/gs/masters-and-doctoral-degree-programs-9.htm
Undergraduate Course Registration |
Course Registration for Undergraduate Students
YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR DOMESTIC STUDENT ORIENTATION IN ORDER TO CONNECT WITH YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISOR. You have received an email from admissions inviting you to sign up. You are not expected to attend physically. We understand this is confusing! Please make sure you sign up for the date offered to you so your academic advisor is able to reach out to you:
- - F-1 and J-1 date
- All dates - Transfer
Please check your emails regularly for information from your academic advisor. Make sure to please check all inboxes you have (personal, GVSU) and the Spam folders!
- Your advisor knows best--follow their advice! We know you're smart, but they're pros at this. Plus for undergraduates you HAVE to meet with them before registration is open.
- Register as soon as you can. Since courses often reach capacity, you might have to take a class in a different semester or at a time of day that isn't best for you. Take note of the waitlist and override options in the presentation.
- There is no fee to register for courses.
- You can change your schedule up until the first Friday of classes.
- If the class you really want is full, register for a back-up course as recommended by your advisor while they try to get you into the course you LOVE!
Health Insurance |
Student Accounts & Budgets |
Students Accounts office talks about how the billing schedule works, payment options (options through Banner as well as Western Union / Bank Wires), consequences for non-payment, 1042 tax implications and more.
Student Employment |
The Student Employment office talks about how to apply for on-campus jobs, how to post a resume and what is expected for those who are working on campus, employment regulations and SSN's.
Arrival & Orientation |
Airport Arrival & Transportation
Because of the number of students we are expecting to welcome, we are unable to provide airport transportation or coordinate it on your behalf. There are many safe options, including but not limited to:
- a local taxi company such as Metro Cab (616) 827-6500 or Yellow Cab (616) 459-4646 (costs $60-70)
- a transport app such as Uber or Lyft (cost varies)
All first semester international students should submit their flight information online:
- We do not recommend students use public transportation from another city (Chicago, Detroit etc) to get to Grand Rapids.
- You cannot enter the US more than 30 days prior to your program start date (listed on your I-20/DS-2019).
Moving into GVSU Housing
All students who will be living on the GVSU campuses for Winter 2024 are invited to use our move-in service. Our International Student Services (ISS) staff will be excitedly waiting at the iHouse to greet all students moving onto campus. The team will assist students in moving into their rooms and also take them to a local supermarket to shop for essentials for their first few days. To take advantage of this service, students must arrive to the iHouse during the designated arrival date and time:
- January 4, 2024 between 12:00pm and 6pm
The deadline to sign up is December 8, 2023.
Students who arrive earlier than the designated arrival date MUST organize their own temporary accommodation. GVSU does not have any temporary accommodation.
International Student Orientation Facts:
- January 5, 2024
- iStudent Orientation is AMAZING!
- iStudent Orientation is MANDATORY!
- There is a compulsory fee of $150 USD
- This is NOT the same as the domestic student orientation; we cover important information about immigration regulations, social security applications, cultural differences, and much more!
- Graduate students should follow all of International Student Orientation - there are specific sessions included in International Student Orientation for Grads to meet with the graduate school