Workers' Compensation

Paperwork Requirements

In most cases, the injured faculty or staff member must complete a Worker’s Compensation Injury Report within 24 hours of the accident. You may request that the form be mailed to you by calling Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. All forms must be completely filled out.

  • Upon receipt of report from the employee, their supervisor is responsible for making sure that the report is completed in a timely manner and turned in to the Human Resources office.
  • The Workers' Compensation Injury Report form that the staff member and their supervisor completes will be used to make sure they receive the proper medical treatment, wage loss compensation, and benefits.


  • Faculty and staff must report all serious injuries (accidents that require immediate medical attention) immediately, but no later than by the end of the workday.
  • All other accidents and injuries must be reported to your supervisor within 2 hours of their occurrence. If the exact time of occurrence cannot be determined, you must report the injury to your supervisor within 24 hours of the time that the symptoms of injury appeared. The university cannot be held responsible for injuries that are not reported as required by university policy and bargaining agreements.
  • In the event of a medical emergency, emergency medical personnel and/or Public Safety Officers will determine the most suitable treatment facility.
  • Minor injuries (cuts, sprains, minor burns, and minor back injuries) can be treated at the Campus Health Center.
  • If a faculty or staff member seeks medical attention from a Spectrum Health Occupational Services facility, Human Resources will need to authorize the treatment unless the employee was referred first by Campus Health.

Questions & Policy Interpretation

The Human Resources office is responsible for implementing and coordinating the provisions of the Workers’ Compensation Policy for the university. Questions may be directed to Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. If there are any conflicts between the university policy and provisions of the Michigan Workers’ Disability Compensation Act, the provisions of the Michigan Workers’ Disability Compensation Act will supersede, with the exception of situations where the university policy, handbooks, or bargaining agreements provide benefits greater than the act. The Michigan Workers’ Disability Compensation Act and their regulations will be used to resolve issues that arise.

Notices are located outside of the Human Resources office, JHZ 1090, on the notice board or may be viewed virtually for out-of-state. Please contact the Human Resources office at [email protected] with any questions.

Page last modified February 1, 2024