Course Permits and Contracts

Course permits

To receive the following History permits: registration permit (SST 495), internship permit (HST 490), senior Thesis (HST 498), independent study (HST 399), you will need to submit a registration override request in Banner.

  1. Log into your Banner account.
  2. Click on Student and then click Registration.
  3. Select Registration Override Term and choose the correct term you plan to take the course. 
  4. Click on Registration Override Request Form. On this form you will need to select the course number (HST 490 01, for example). Select a reason from the drop down and add as much information to the request as possible in the Comments/Explanation box. Complete information helps to assure quick turnaround. 

NOTE: Those seeking HST 399: Independent Study, HST 498: Senior Thesis, and HST 490: Internship should submit the name of the faculty member with whom they are working.

NOTE: For SST 495, you must have completed SST 309 or SST 310.

The History Department will issue a permit within 2 business days. You will receive an email from Banner to your official student email address notifying you whether the permit has been approved. Please register as soon as you receive notification that you have the necessary permit as permit approvals are only valid for three weeks. If you have any questions about permits, please contact Dr. Shapiro-Shapin.


Contracts are required for HST 399: Independent Study and for HST 498: Senior Thesis.

Page last modified May 12, 2022