Groundswell Summer Institute Day 2 (2 of 3) - 8/1/2023
Date and Time
Tuesday, August 1, 2023 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
You can RSVP for this event
Day 2 (8/1/2023): John Ball Zoo, Grand Rapids
This is a registration for all three days of Summer Institute: Day 1 (7/31), Day 2 (8/1), Day 3 (8/2)
Are you a teacher new to place-based education (PBE)? Maybe you have implemented PBE in your classroom and want to learn more?
The institute this year will lead you through the six elements of a PBE project so you can implement an awesome experience back at your school. Groundswell is offering this free workshop to educators which includes expert facilitation, classroom material give-aways, and provided meals each day for participants (a value of $400 per attendee).
Why should you join us for this workshop?
- Expert facilitators! Mary Whitmore, the founder of the Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative (GLSI) and co-author of the GLSI PBE Principles will co-lead the institute with Erica Johnson, Project Specialist from the Muskegon Area Intermediate School District.
- A detailed walk-through of how to implement a PBE experience in your classroom.
- Attendance provides you with information and eligibility for Groundswell project funds in the 2023-2024 academic year (up to $1,500 for your school).
- For the first 30 educators to register, a sponsored registration to the fall 2023 GLSI PBE conference in downtown Grand Rapids, a $370 value.
- Make connections with fantastic West Michigan experts who can offer classroom support and guidance with your school project.
Participants are expected to commit to the three days of the institute. If you have a scheduling conflict that may inhibit your attendance on one of these days, please reach out to Clay Pelon at [email protected].
Day 2 Description: Identifying Community Needs & Cultivating Student Choice
John Ball Zoo, Grand Rapids
You will continue a deep dive into PBE pedagogy through work with visiting experts on identifying community needs in the local environment. Focus for the day will also center on student leadership in the classroom and how to cultivate students’ research and focus on stewardship efforts.
This event also appears on the main events calendar tagged as academic, education, educational, educators, environment, k12, professionaldevelopment, stewardship, teachers, and workshop.
Mara Spears, Groundswell Program specialist: [email protected]