Help Us Bring Varsity Wrestling Back in 2023
It’s a simple fact. Grand Valley would not be at the top of NCAA Division II Athletics without the help of donors like you. The margin of excellence in recruiting, coaching, equipment, and facilities keeps our student-athletes competitive and creates championship caliber teams in every sport. Now it’s wrestling’s turn. Again.
Our thanks to chair, John Harris, and the members of the wrestling honorary and campaign committees. Your experience, advocacy, and support is making this dream a reality. We couldn’t do it without you!
What We Need
While we have raised more than three-quarters of our goal so far, we need your help to reach our target. Your gifts will create the margin of excellence to regain national championship status for a men’s and women’s Varsity Wrestling program.
Your gifts will:
- Provide resources to recruit and retain a highly-regarded coaching staff
- Create an environment and provide resources to recruit and secure top athletes for the program
- Support a certified athletic trainer with specific expertise in wrestling
- Fund necessary equipment Laker wrestlers will need to be champions
- Help create physical space necessary for the equipment and competitions
When Varsity Wrestling returns in Fall of 2023 and Women’s Wrestling is introduced, they will join all Laker student-athletes to take advantage of state-of-the-art facilities and a new addition to the Fieldhouse. Learn more.
Why it Matters
A tradition of excellence provides a foundation for success
- Many of our alumni remember the early days of Grand Valley’s wrestling program when Lakers achieved national recognition in first the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), and later at the NCAA Division II level
- Laker Wrestling produced more than 50 All-American wrestlers
- In more recent years, wrestling has become a successful club sport, winning five National Collegiate Wrestling Association championships since 2001
Growing popularity makes this the perfect time to restore the men’s program and add a women’s team
- Wrestling is now the seventh most popular sport for men and one of the fastest-growing sports for women
- Women’s wrestling was recently granted NCAA emerging sports status at all three levels
- With the surge in popularity at the high school level for both men and women, the timing is perfect to restore Grand Valley’s program
Student-athletes interested in wrestling deserve to compete as Lakers
- Grand Valley, now celebrating 18 years at the top of Division II athletics, offers a nationally recognized academic, athletic, and social experience that should be offered to men and women wrestlers along with all our other varsity athletes
How You Can Help
Support our Wrestlers
With your gift or pledge, we can bring back varsity wrestling at the championship level, and allow both men and women wrestlers to experience a Grand Valley education. Donor recognition is available in the field house for different levels of giving. Learn more about recognition opportunities. Please contact Kim Schmidt at [email protected] for more information.
Kim Schmidt '88, '00
Director of Athletic Giving