THE EUROPEAN UNION GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR) PRIVACY NOTICE
Grand Valley State University continues to be committed to conducting the collection and processing of personal data with integrity and in compliance with applicable data protection laws. This Privacy Notice, describes how the University collects, uses, stores, transfers and protects personal data about you as an alumnus, donor or event attendee.
This Privacy Notice applies to all personal data we collect or process about you in the context of our status as an alumnus, donor or event attendee. This Notice will inform you about:
- Our contact information;
- The personal data we collect and use;
- Our purposes for collecting and using personal data;
- How we share and transfer personal data;
- How we protect personal data;
- How we retain personal data;
- International transfers of personal data;
- Your rights regarding your personal data; and
- Changes to the Privacy Notice
Data Controller Contact Information
Grand Valley State University serves as the controller of the personal data described in this notice and determines the purposes and means of processing your personal data. The individual below serves as the primary contact for compliance with applicable data protection laws related to alumni and donors to the university, and is responsible for responding to questions about this Notice and requests to exercise data subject rights.
Associate Vice President for Development Services
301 Fulton Street W. Suite 900
Grand Rapids MI 40504
Personal Data We Collect and Use:
- Personal Data We Collect Directly From You
We collect personal data directly from you. Personal data that is collected directly from you includes the following:
- Personal details, such as your full name and date of birth;
- Contact details, such as your phone number, email address, and mailing address;
- Demographic details, such as your age, gender, and marital status;
- Information about disabilities and related accommodations, information about allergies or dietary restrictions.
- Personal Data Generated By Us
In addition, the following categories of personal data about you may be generated by GVSU in the course of its relationship with you
- Employment details if you are employed by GVSU as a student, such as work-study and GVSU employment details; and
- Student and education information, including your major/minor;
- Relationships to other GVSU constituencies;
- Gift information; and
- Event attendance information.
- Personal Data We Obtain From Other Sources
GVSU may also obtain the following categories of personal data about you from third parties:
- Updated contact details, such as your phone number and mailing address;
- Updated employment information; and
- Measures of philanthropic interest.
- Special Categories of Personal Data We Collect and Use
Some of the categories of personal data that we collect are considered “special categories” of personal data under European law. In particular, we may process the following special categories of personal data:
- Information about disabilities or related accommodations, information about allergies or dietary restrictions where provided; and
- Information about your racial or ethnic origin.
Purposes for Collecting and Using Data
GVSU uses the data collected to create a record that allows the university to interact with you as a donor or an alumnus of the institution, to manage your attendance at our events, and to receipt gifts according to IRS standards.
Sharing and Transferring Data
We treat your personal data with care and confidentiality. Your personal data will be available for the purposes mentioned above and only to employees on a need to know basis and to the extent reasonably necessary to perform their functions.
We may disclose your personal data to third parties under the following circumstances:
- Law enforcement agencies, courts, regulators, government authorities or other third parties. We may share your personal data with these parties where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party.
Because we operate internationally, the recipients referred to above may be located outside the jurisdiction in which you are located (or in which we provide the services). Your personal data may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country that is not regarded as ensuring an adequate level of protection for personal data under European Union law.
The University has put in place reasonable physical, technical and organizational measures designed to maintain appropriate security, integrity, and confidentiality of the personal data we process. We evaluate these measures on a regular basis to ensure the security of the processing.
Personal Data is retained in accordance with University policy and as required under applicable U.S. laws and regulations unless you request it deleted.
Grand Valley State University collects, stores, and uses personal data that you provide to us and information we collect about you to interact with you as an alumnus, donor or prospective donor. In addition, the university may process your information for other legitimate interests related to:
- outreach and marketing efforts,
- providing accurate receipting,
- completing general university reporting, and
- fulfilling other university responsibilities or purposes.
Where legally applicable, you may have the following rights regarding your personal data, the right to access your personal data GVSU holds, and in some situations, the right to have that personal data updated, erased, restricted, or delivered to you or a third party in a usable electronic format (the right to data portability). Where applicable, you may also object to how GVSU uses your personal data if the legal basis for processing that information that we say is in our legitimate business interest.
Where we are using your personal data on the basis of your consent, and where legally applicable, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to register a complaint to the supervisory data protection authority in your home country where applicable.
If you wish to exercise these rights, or to notify us of a change in your details, or if you have any questions on the content of this Notice, please contact the Data Controller.
Changes to the Privacy Notice
You may request a copy of this Privacy Notice from us using the contact details set out above.
This Privacy Statement may be revised periodically without further notice to you and this will be reflected by the "LAST UPDATED" date found at the top of this page. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. Your continued use of our site constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Statement and any future revisions.
Last Updated: November 26, 2018