Effective Practices Leadership Initiative (EPLI)
Effective Practices Leadership Initiative (EPLI) is an effort to increase regional and local district capacity to effectively educate students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). The project includes developing Trainers of START Content who can provide professional development in ASD and the use of Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) for their regional and local school staff and families. Trainers work with coaches who assist in the follow-up support necessary to assure that research-based practices and supports are implemented with fidelity.
To further expand regional and local capacity, and to deepen both the initial and ongoing development of trainers, START has discontinued the formal approval process and competency day. The intent is to focus on a rigorous training and preparation process to ensure that START trainings conducted at regional and local levels remain of the highest standard. In addition, START will provide ongoing support to Trainers of START Content by providing opportunities to strengthen content knowledge and deepen skills.
Beginning in 2020-2021, the Trainer Preparation and Support was moved to a virtual format and have created EPLI Trainer Focus Courses for both the PBIS and Educational Supports & Strategies modules, as both modules have undergone extensive revisions. The Trainer Focus Courses include individual work, participation in two live Zoom sessions, and attendance at the Trainer Focus Day. Completion of the Trainer Focus Course in the module(s) of interest is required for both new applicants and inactive Level 1 Trainers of START Content. Current Level 1 Trainers are also welcome to participate in the components of the Trainer Focus Courses.
EPLI Trainer of START Content Modules available for 2022-2023:
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
- Educational Supports & Strategies
Applicants, Current EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content, and Inactive EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content who are interested in participating in any part of the 2022-2023 EPLI Trainer Focus Course should begin here.
NOTE: The requirement to attend Intensive Training in the past 3 years (along with the PBIS and ESS modules) has not changed. Since START is not offering Intensive Training this year, we are only able to accept applicants who have already attended the trainings at either K-12 Wayne, K-12 Kent, or K-12 Monroe.
As a project, we understand that this will postpone the process for new trainers, but this is an important planning year for START as we need to dedicate significant staff time and energy over the next year to resource development. We are prioritizing our work around updated resources that are easily available, broken into smaller chunks of content, and accessible for the RCN. This also includes prioritizing the development of on-demand resources and training materials for trainers.
We intend to have opportunities for more people to apply to be a EPLI trainer in 2023-2024. If you have any questions, please reach out to your RCN leadership or START RCN representative.
Check back here for regular announcements and information for EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content!
The EPLI Level 1 Trainer of START Content Application for 2022-2023 has passed. The 2023-2024 application will be available in the summer of 2023.
Current EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content: Have you ordered your apparel yet? The order deadline is approaching! Your coupon code is valid through November 30, 2022. Can't find your code or have a question? Please contact Andy West.
There are many ways to prepare for a training. This strategy consists of a layered approach, involving three different training considerations:
Watch the Prepping for Training video for more information on this Trainer Tip!
A valuable part of EPLI last year was the participation of many experienced trainers who provided guidance, trainer tips, and tidbits to those new to the role of EPLI Trainer of START Content. One of the most requested trainer supports is a connection to a veteran trainer as a mentor. We ask you to consider reaching out to a new EPLI Trainer of START Content to welcome them to the role and see if they have any questions or concerns that you can answer.
Current EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content: Have you ordered your apparel yet? The order deadline is approaching! Your coupon code is valid through November 30, 2022. Can't find your code or have a question? Please contact Kellie Fitzgerald.
Are you unsure how to respond to certain questions or are you looking for some prompts to consider when answering questions during a training?
EPLI Level 1 Trainer of START Content Application is now available! The application must be submitted by October 26, 2022 for PBIS and November 3, 2022 for Educational Supports and Strategies. This impacts New Applicants, Inactive Trainers (reactivation), and Current EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content seeking to add a module.
Have you checked in with your RCN this school year? It is helpful to check in with your RCN to support coaching for the implementation of the content you present.
- EPLI Trainer Corner: A section on our website where START will share regular announcements and information with EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content.
- EPLI Trainer Tips and Tidbits: A newsletter sent three times year to support EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content with tools, tips, and resources.
- EPLI Trainer Focus Course Plans: The EPLI Trainer Focus Course Plans are intended to guide new and inactive trainers through the EPLI Trainer Focus Course. New and inactive trainers should follow the EPLI Trainer Focus Course Plans through the full process. Current Trainers may participate in any portion of the EPLI Trainer Focus Course Plans.
- EPLI Trainer Resource Center: A Google Folder for EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content where START will share tools, strategies, and development and collaboration resources. The EPLI Resource Center is only intended to be accessed by Current EPLI Level 1 Trainers of START Content and Applicants.
- Trainer Portal: An individual link where Applicants can follow their status as they move through the EPLI Trainer Focus Course Plans. RCN Leadership also has access to their RCN's status log of Current Trainers, Inactive Trainers, and New Applicants.
RCN Involvement in EPLI Trainer Process to Building Capacity
- Each RCN should ensure they have a sufficient number of Level 1 Trainers of START Content in their region for each module to cover training needs.
- If more Trainers are needed, RCNs should identify qualified individuals to go through the EPLI Trainer of START Content Development Process
- RCN may recruit qualified Level 2 trainers. Level 2 trainers present with Level 1 trainers through their local RCN. They work to help develop training materials and present information that provides a specific example of the application of START information based on EBP (e.g. high school peer to peer program implementation, use of self-management system in general education, systematic use of meeting mechanics). Level 2 Trainers must present with an EPLI Level 1 Trainer of START Content
Trainer Portal: RCN Access
Purpose: The RCN Trainer Portal is a status log of each RCN’s Current Trainers, Inactive Trainers, and New Applicants. It is intended to be accessed only by RCN leadership to view START's current EPLI records for each RCN.
Instructions for RCN Leadership:
- Each RCN’s EPLI Trainer Portal should only be accessed by the RCN leadership. The login and username/password should not be shared outside the RCN leadership.
- To login to your RCN’s EPLI Trainer Portal, go to your RCN Google Folder/START Contract Information and open the document titled: Your RCN Name EPLI Trainer Portal Link and Login. You will find the login, username, and password.