Transfer Plans

Select a school and program

For additional information and possible next steps, please refer to the following information:

  • If you are considering transferring to GVSU, please visit our Transfer Admissions resource page for all the information you need to get started.
  • For information on how your courses transfer to GVSU, please review the Course Equivalencies online.
  • If you decide to transfer to GVSU prior to completing your Associates Degree, you should consider taking advantage of the reverse transfer agreement we have with all Michigan community colleges.
  • Our online catalog provides a wealth of information on GVSU's academic programs, policies and procedures, course descriptions, etc.
  • Each college at GVSU has an academic advising center that serves specific majors in that college. If you have specific questions about program requirements, you could contact the advising center to seek additional information.
  • Each academic department at GVSU provides additional information about specific programs of study and links to important resources. You may access a comprehensive list here.
  • Our Career Center provides comprehensive support and resources for all students at GVSU. It is recommended that you connect with the counselors there as soon as you transition to GVSU.
  • The Career Guides by Major allow students to investigate possible career or graduate/professional school opportunities based on specific programs of study.

Transfer plans are meant to provide you with a suggested outline of courses for your respective academic interest. They are simply a guide while you attend community college. If you have additional questions regarding the content of this transfer plan, please contact the GVSU Admissions & Recruitment Office by phone at 616-331-2025 or by email at [email protected].


Northwestern Michigan College

Program Guide for Special Education

First Year, First Semester

Course Credits
ENG 111 4
PSY 101 3
Elective - see below 3 - 4
Elective - see below 3 - 4

First Year, Second Semester

Course Credits
ENG 112 4
ECE 202 5
Elective - see below 3 - 4
Elective - see below 3 - 4


Additional Electives may be chosen from the following:

  • Social Studies Concentration: GEO 109, HST 111, PLS 101
  • Spanish Endorsement: SPAN 101, 102, 201, 202
  • ECE or EDU courses. Course equivalencies are still being determined at GVSU.


  • Programs are approved by the Michigan Department of Education and accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
  • Special Education teacher preparation at GVSU has transitioned to the new majors in Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Elementary Teaching and a second major in Special Education. These new majors allow student to choose from the following certification levels or grade bands plus special education K-12:
    1. PreK – 3rd grade
    2. Grades 3 – 6
    3. Dual grade certification in grades PreK – 6
  • The previous elementary majors in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Integrated Science and Comprehensive Science and Arts for Teaching/Special Education have been eliminated for all incoming students.
  • Students interested in Special Education Certification are urged to transfer to Grand Valley State University after one year of study or upon completion of the courses listed above.
  • Students will choose a grade band or combination of grade bands for special education.
  • Students will be able to choose additional concentration areas in English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and/or Integrated Science, if interested
  • Additional endorsements may be added in English as a Second Language (ESL) K-12 or Spanish K – 8.
  • More information about the requirements for these programs can be found at
  • The College of Education and Community Innovation offers programs leading to a bachelor’s degree and a Michigan Standard Teaching Certificate.  Certification is available in lower elementary (PK-3), upper elementary (3-6), secondary education, and lower or upper elementary education with special education endorsement.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Please contact an advisor early.
      • For questions regarding the Educational Studies or Special Education major, please contact the College of Education and Community Innovation at 616-331-6650
      • For questions regarding the new grade bands and the PCKET major, please contact the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center at 616-331-8585.