Events » Basics of NAFTA / USMCA - Kalamazoo
Canada and Mexico continue to be top trading partners for Michigan businesses, accounting for more than 70% of Michigan’s global trade. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has been renegotiated and the new United States, Mexico, Canada Agreement (USMCA) is awaiting ratification by the U.S. Congress. Despite the uncertainty surrounding a possible transition to a free trade agreement called USMCA, trilateral trade will continue while it is being established. Businesses will need to continue to operate using the existing NAFTA rules while simultaneously planning for change to USMCA.
It is critical for businesses buying or selling to/from Canada or Mexico qualify goods appropriately for preferential duty treatment, whether continuing as NAFTA or transitioning to the new USMCA. Businesses must pay close attention to what currently qualifies for NAFTA and understand the compliance risk associated with certifying products under NAFTA. In addition, businesses need to continue to pay close attention to the developments with USMCA and be prepared for transition when it is legally established.
Join us for this full-day seminar to learn the qualification process, either continuing under NAFTA or adapting to the changes in the new USMCA. Attendees will gain a clear understanding of the rules, regulations, and best practices in place headed into 2020. The program’s content will be adjusted based on the current status of the Free Trade Agreement between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
Topics applicable to both NAFTA and USMCA:
- FTA Concepts & Definitions
- Qualifying Goods Using NAFTA Rules of Origin or USMCA Rules of Origin
- Tariff Shift
- Regional Value Content
- Supplier Solicitation Process
- Recordkeeping & Compliance
Topics Unique to NAFTA or USMCA:
- NAFTA – How to fill out a NAFTA Certificate of Origin
- USMCA – How to certify products when there is no standardized certificate of origin form.
- NAFTA Rules of Origin (Source material)
- USMCA Rules of Origin (Source material)
- USMCA – Special rules for automotive
- USMCA – new industry and sector special rules
Friday, October 18, 2019
8:30 AM - 3:30 PM