2017-18 Transition to GVAssess
Beginning in Sep 2017, all reporting of student outcomes* will occur through the new site, GVAssess. The new system provides close integration with GVPlan and eliminates the need for units to compile and submit a separate report to UAC. Instead, units will update their findings in GVAssess annually, and UAC members will review the information in the site and provide feedback when the unit is up for review. All reporting and feedback will be contained in the site.
*Student outcomes are statements that describe what all students should know or be able to do at the end of the program. For academic units, student outcomes are referred to as Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs); for co-curricular or service units, they are referred to as Student Centered Outcomes (SCOs). See the Glossary for details.
Video: Current Assessment Expectations
by Chris Plouff, Office of the Provost
Transition Plan - All Units
- Stage 1: Pre-loading. In September and October 2017, the Provost's office pre-populated each unit's GVAssess site with program names, archived WEAVEOnline reports, past UAC memos, and other historical documents.
- Stage 2: Outcomes. By Dec. 31, 2017, all units will enter the student outcomes for their program(s) into GVAssess. (Note: Strategic planning outcomes were entered into GVPlan last year).
- Stage 3: Full Plan. By May 20, 2018, all units should have their full assessment plan entered into GVAssess.
- An assessment plan consists of outcomes, objectives, and measures (see Glossary).
- Each measure includes details about when/where/who/how the assessment will be implemented.
- We recommend units add these details in stages throughout 2017-18, and updating whenever new assessment data is collected and analyzed.
This tip-sheet (pdf) outlines an approach that may streamline programs' entry of assessment plan information into GVAssess.
Additional Expectations for programs with reports due 12/31/17:
GVAssess was launched in October 2017, and units have the rest of the 2017-18 academic year to fully enter their assessment plans into GVAssess. However, units with assessment reports due on 12/31/17 will need to complete some of the work early. In particular, these units should:
- Complete Stage 1 (above).
- Complete Stage 2 to add objectives and measures only for the student outcomes you assessed in the last two years.
- Add data reporting for each measure with data from the last two years.
See this tip-sheet (pdf) for suggestions that may help streamline this process. The GVAssess User Guide (pdf) describes the steps for adding data reporting in GVAssess.
Dec. 31, 2017
Programs with reports due Dec. 31, 2017 have additional expectations.
Need more resources?
Explore the Resources and Support page of the UAC website for a growing collection of resources in support of assessment activities at GVSU.