DIscover Grand Valley State University!
Grand Valley State University is a public, four-year university located in Allendale, Michigan, just 13 miles outside Grand Rapids, Michigan's second-largest city. Grand Valley has nearly 23,000 students and is the fourth largest public university in Michigan, attracting students from throughout the Midwest, across the country, and around the world. Grand Valley is just 2 1/2 hours from Detroit and Chicago.
Our most popular programs and majors align with the needs of in-demand industries, including robust health professions, engineering, and business programs; and our beautiful campuses, amazing living centers, and active student life keep students engaged.
Take the time to discover all the things that make Grand Valley a great choice. You’ll learn how you can become a force for positive change, carving a path to a bright future that will set you apart from the pack and make an impact on your community and beyond. That’s the Laker Effect and it’s a force for positive change in wherever you come from and wherever you're going.
GVSU Out of State Scholarship for Toledo Residents
Grand Valley was ranked among Best National Universities by both Washington Monthly and U.S. News and World Report in 2023.
An Outstanding Location
Our campuses are in the heart of a thriving West Michigan economy and our long-standing partnerships with the region’s businesses -- including more than 130 international companies -- provide students and graduates opportunities in a variety of industries from health professions to engineering to entrepreneurship and more. Grand Rapids was ranked as one of the best places to live in the U.S. in 2022 by U.S. News & World Report and the Allendale Main Campus is located in the fastest growing county in Michigan. The Health Campus and Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus are located in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids, just 13 miles to the east. Lake Michigan and its resort towns and sandy beaches are 30 minutes to the west, providing Grand Valley students the best of both worlds.
Grand Rapids' Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR) has year-round direct flights to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL).
300+ PROGRAMS...AND GROWING
- 100 undergraduate degrees
- 45 graduate degree programs
- 25 combined degree programs that allow students to earn their bachelor’s degree and a graduate degree in one continuous program, plus the Student Initiated Combined Degree (SICD) program
- 7,300+ students participated in experiential learning such as internships clinical rotations, practice, student teaching, co-ops, and fieldwork in the 2022-2023 school year
- Students have access to more than 4,000 study abroad programs and Grand Valley is one of the top universities in the nation for the number of students who study abroad
- More than 250 sustainability-related courses from which to choose
- Choose from more than 300 student clubs and organizations
- 10 living-learning communities on the Allendale and Grand Rapids campuses
Faculty Who Care
Grand Valley’s faculty members (not teaching assistants or graduate assistants) teach nearly every class at Grand Valley. They are accomplished scholars who offer the kind of expertise that will distinguish your learning experience. Besides being in the classroom with you day in and day out, what sets them apart is how much they love to teach. They are here for you. That kind of commitment means they’ll focus on your individual needs, empower you, and guide you through real-world research opportunities.
- 55 Grand Valley faculty members have earned Fulbright Scholar Awards since 1964
- 93% of our faculty members have doctoral or terminal degrees
Are You An Adult Student?
If so, we have fast and affordable online bachelor's degree completion programs that will help you advance in your current job or provide opportunities for new careers.
Our Lifelong Educational Attainment for Determined Students (LEADS) program is an online accelerated bachelor's degree program especially for busy adults.
- Earn a bachelor’s in Integrative Studies degree PLUS an online certificate in one of five high demand areas – leadership, data analytics, project management, business fundamentals, or global communications (these certificates can also be completed on their own)
- 6-week classes
- One rate for in-state or out-of-state students -- $500 per credit (classes are three credits)
- Try it, like it, your next class is free!
- This entire accelerated bachelor’s degree program can be completed online
Three Unique Campuses
Grand Valley's three unique campuses are in West Michigan and linked by the free Laker Line bus system making it a quick 20-minute trip from the main campus to the downtown campuses. Students' experience at Grand Valley's campuses often grows with them through their years as a Laker. Most first-year students live and take general education classes on the main campus. Then, depending on their major, students may find more of their classes take place downtown. University housing is available in Allendale and downtown and all students have convenient access to all the cultural, social, entertainment, and internship or employment opportunities that Grand Rapids provides.
3 Unique Campuses
Grand Valley's Health Campus is the heart of the "Medical Mile" in downtown Grand Rapids.
Grand Valley's main campus in beautiful Allendale, Michigan.
Grand Valley's Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids campus in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids.
Costs and Financial Aid
Grand Valley State University is an outstanding academic investment for students in Toledo. Grand Valley's tuition is in the lower third of Michigan public universities and offers valuable scholarships for academically qualified non-resident students with a 3.3 GPA or better. These scholarships are worth a total award value of approximately $29,000-$66,000 over the course of four years for Toledo residents.
Scholarships include the Presidential Scholarship, Faculty Scholarship, Award for Excellence, or the Laker Scholarship, each of which includes a significant, renewable scholarship award plus the difference between full-time Michigan resident tuition and non-resident tuition.
* Lifelong Educational Attainment for Determined Students