LIVE ON CAMPUS
Grand Valley State University is more than just a place to learn. It’s a place to find connections, opportunities, experience, and yourself. There’s no better way to do it all than by living on campus.
If you've lived on campus before, you understand that there is no better way to experience the Laker Effect. Grand Valley's living centers offer all the features you want with on-campus conveniences and advantages, which is why more and more students have decided to stay, and why many who left are coming back. Whether it is unique social experiences, the readily available academic resources and support, convenient dining options, or relief of paying only one bill that has you thinking about living on campus, we truly hope you stay on campus.
Lakers Live On Campus
Options That Fit Your Style
It may be an exaggeration to say that GVSU offers nearly as many housing options as it does academic programs, but either way, you can count on finding something that fits your needs and helps you have an amazing college experience. Whether you live in a traditional-style, suite-style, or apartment-style living center or an actual on-campus apartment, GVSU has built some of the newest living centers in the state so that you can build lasting relationships and be a part of a community of like-minded learners. Grand Valley offers housing on both the Allendale campus and the Pew campus in Grand Rapids.
Returning & transfer students live on South campus in Allendale or on the Pew campus in Grand Rapids. Returning & transfer students have a variety of fully-furnished on-campus apartment options to choose from. Grand Valley offers efficiency, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom (Pew), and 4-bedroom on-campus apartment options on the Allendale and Pew campuses.
Benefits of Living On Campus
Welcome Home Laker
Living on campus gives you opportunities and advantages that can make your college experience more memorable, more enjoyable, and more successful. The Residence Life program at Grand Valley State University provides students with an opportunity to live independently in a supportive environment. The design of our residential communities is intentional, promoting community and campus involvement, and also contributing to friendships that will last a lifetime. Our staff focuses on the development of our residents, helping them become contributing members of a global society.
One Easy Payment
Less Responsibility, No Hidden Fees.
Living off campus means monthly rent and multiple utility bills. When living on campus, all living expenses are included in the rate. Residents manage one consolidated bill and deposits roll over from year to year. That's peace of mind you can't place a dollar sign on. Handling everything at one time and in one place will be one less thing to worry about, allowing you to focus on the things you want and really need to.
All Utilities Included
We've Got You Covered.
GVSU provides many amenities to make you feel at home from day one. There is Internet access in your housing unit and Wi-Fi throughout campus. There are also email kiosks and large computer labs available. Digital cable TV service is included in the room rates, including 25+ HD channels for High Definition TVs. Each building has access to its own laundry room with washers and dryers, and laundry facilities are free to use for the 2021-2022 academic year!. Our on-campus maintenance service provides assistance with plumbing, heating, water, furniture, cable, and internet.
Variety of Resources, Ongoing Support.
Students who live on campus at GVSU get better grades and are more likely to graduate than those who don’t. Look deeper and you’ll understand the reasons why: a sense of community, lifelong friendships and connections, convenient access to classes and academic resources, on-campus employment opportunities, comfortable living centers, campus beauty, academic support, healthy food, recreation opportunities, and more. That's a true competitive advantage for jobs, graduate schools, grants, and scholarships.
Students who live on campus benefit from:
- Being closer to classes (often in the same building if you're part of an academic community).
- Convenient access to state-of-the-art facilities, such as the P. Douglas Kindschi Hall of Science, Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons, and the Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts.
- Proximity to peers, faculty, and advisors.
- Access to academic resources, such as the Writing Center, Barbara and Stuart Padnos International Center, and Career Services Center.
Be Part Of Something Bigger.
Lakers living on campus have a college experience they simply cannot get elsewhere. From diverse campus life programming to fulfilling volunteer opportunities to athletic events and recreation, you'll discover a sense of community, belonging, and purpose that is unique to living to on campus and is sure to enrich your academic, social, and personal life.
- 400+ student organizations make it easy to get involved, make friends, and have fun.
- Grand Valley's student life programming makes sure you'll find something happening on campus almost any day of the year.
- Our recreation facilities and opportunities help keep your heart pumping fast, whether you are part of a club sport, intramurals, or on your own.
- Cheer on one of the best athletic programs in the nation as Laker teams compete in 20 intercollegiate sports.
- Want to visit Michigan's second-largest city? The Rapid Bus service to Grand Rapids will get you there and back at no cost.
Recreation & Wellness
Get Involved. Be Active. Live Healthy.
Grand Valley Recreation & Wellness brings together multiple university resources and services to provide the campus community with a wide variety of recreation, fitness, wellness, sports, outdoor adventures, social, and employment opportunities at all levels of ability, competition, and interest. Whether you’re interested in sports, spending time outside, or simply working out alone or in groups, there is something for everyone right here on campus!
Take the local Rapid Bus routes around the Allendale campus or take the new Laker Line route to the Pew campus and to downtown Grand Rapids.
Routes (Click to see more details and specific stops):
- Laker Line (Formerly route 50): Connector between Kirkhof Center in Allendale and the Pew Campus in Grand Rapids
- Route 37 (North Campus): Connector between Kirkhof Center and off-campus apartments near North Campus
- Route 48 (South Campus): Connector between Kirkhof Center and off-campus apartments on 48th Ave.
- Route 85/LL (Weekend Service): Routes 37 & 48 combined/Laker Line weekend service with limited hours of operation
The Rapid Bus is FREE to ride for GVSU students. You MUST have your student ID to ride the bus (tickets are issued to riders without an ID).
Convenient, Affordable, Good.
College is full of choices and what you eat is an important one. GVSU offers a variety of meal plans and dining facilities to fit your taste, your waistline, and your budget, and healthy and nutritious food is available almost any time of day and within five minutes of anywhere on campus. Meal plans provide a specific number of meals each week and range per semester. Food and meal purchases are made with your student ID and electronically deducted from your account, and “Dining Dollars” can be used at any Campus Dining location.
Whether you prefer to buy groceries and cook or eat the delicious food on campus, Campus Dining has a plan that will fit your lifestyle and budget.