Our Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement Programs

Home CLDE Resources Democracy 101 GVSU Votes! GVSU Votes Campus Coalition

How Do I Vote?

A Guide to Registering and Voting

Check to see if you're already registered!

Look yourself up! If you are a Michigan resident, you can check at the Michigan Secretary of State voting website.

Step 1: Are you eligible to vote? A Michigan Voter Checklist

  • Are you a U.S. citizen?
  • Will you be at least 18 by Election Day?
  • Are you a resident of Michigan?
  • Are you a resident of the city or township where you are applying to vote? 

If you said yes to all of these... Congrats! You're eligible to vote in Michigan! 

Step 2: Fill out a Voter Registration Application

You can fill these out by...

  • Going to your County or Local Clerk's office
  • Going to the Office of Student Life's Civic Engagement Team
  • Going to a Voter Registration Drive on Campus
  • Printing out a form online, fill it out and mail it to your clerk

Online Voter Registration is Now Available

If you a resident of Michigan, you can now register to vote online through the Michigan Secretary of State website!

What Address Do I Use To Vote?

Students have a choice about where they register to vote.

  • Use your home address!
  • Use the address of your living center! 
  • Use your off-campus address! 


*Registering to vote with an address other than your home address changes your permanent address*

REMEMBER: You can only register to vote at one address! 

Registering to vote will not affect your:

Federal Financial Aid

  • Pell grants, Perkins or Stafford Loans, or your dependency status for FAFSA

Tuition Status

  • Registering to vote on campus does not change your eligibility for out-of-state tuition

Can I Vote by Absentee Ballot?

Of course you can!

Everyone can vote by mail. The passage of Proposal 3 in Michigan's 2018 midterm elections now makes it possible for all eligible and registered voters to request an absentee ballot without providing a reason! Yay! 

A few things to keep in mind about absentee voting:

  • Absentee ballots are available 45 days before every election. If you are registered to vote, you can request a ballot be mailed to you by the Friday before the election at 5 p.m., or request a ballot in person at your city or township clerk's office until 4 p.m. on the Monday before the election.
  • Newly registered voter? You're in luck! New voters can pick up an absentee ballot in person when they register to vote at their city or township clerk's office. Michigan law now states that eligible voters can now register until 8 p.m. on Election Day. 
  • All ballots must be returned to the city or township clerk no later than 8 p.m. on Election Day.
  • If you are a Michigan resident, you can print an absentee ballot request form online through the MI Secretary of State. Print, sign and mail the application to your local clerk to get your absentee ballot. If you are an out-of-state student, be sure to check your state's deadlines and rules. 

What do I need to bring with me to vote?

Michigan law states that you are allowed to register to vote on Election Day. Just keep in mind that you must register at your local clerk's office, not at the voting precinct. 

Election workers will ask you for a photo ID, but if you do not have one, don't worry! Sign an affidavit saying you do not have an ID and you will be given a ballot that will be counted on Election Day. If you do have a photo ID, bring it with you. Acceptable ID's include

  • Your GVSU ID
  • Michigan driver's license or state-issued ID card
  • Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state
  • Federal or state government-issued photo identification
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID with photo
  • Tribal identification card with photo

The ID does not need your address. 

Page last modified March 7, 2023