Saturday, February 19, 2022
Schedule for Saturday
10:00am to 5:00pm
- Learn from student-submitted projects designing solutions for the future of space exploration.
- Watch a planetarium show including an introductory history of Roger B. Chaffee and featured presentations highlighting space exploration
11:00 - One World, One Sky
12:00 - From Earth to the Universe
1:00 - Incoming!
2:00 - Under Starlit Skies
3:00 - Space School
4:00 - Dark Side: the Light Show
- See museum artifacts related to space, space travel, and Roger B. Chaffee.
- Enjoy many other family-friendly activities related to space, including:
- Golden Record Activity - Introduction created by planetarium about Voyager two - one staff and one vol. Guests can learn more about the Voyager mission to attempt communications with possible life forms in space and determine what information would be important for you to share with an alien lifeform.
- Underwater ROV with Mark Gleason - guests will use pvc pipes, foam noodles, and small submersible motors to create their own underwater ROV that they can test in a tank full of water. Learn about underwater discovery and the important role that Remote Operated Vehicles play in underwater exploration.
- Kent District Library will host a table with STEM related activities.
- The Van Andel Education Institute will host a rocket launching activity focusing on the principles of thrust and the propellants needed to create lift, using a PVC pipe enclosure that allows this experiment to take place inside.
- Roger Chaffee and space related artifacts from the Museum’s Collection
- The Grand Rapids Children’s Museum will have a wind tunnel activity
- GVSU Padnos College of Engineering will host different activities including origami fish, Hydrophobic Sand (A.K.A Space Sand) which is applied nanotechnology and possibly planting seeds in water beads.
- Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Association will have telescopes for guests to look at the daytime sky as well as planispheres to make and take.
- Lunar Lakers Team - GVSU Engineering Team (one table)
- GVSU Physics Department showcase - students from the physics department will do hands on activities (one table)