Occupational Therapy Master's Program Admission Criteria
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE 2024 APPLICATION CYCLE
OTCAS Application Opens: July 21st, 2023
Application deadline: January 18, 2024 (for classes starting August 2024)
- All application materials must be VERIFIED within the OTCAS system by January 18, 2024.
- Any applications verified after the January 18 deadline will not be considered for review.
- Applicants must include FINAL SPRING SUMMER 2023 SEMESTER grades.
- We highly recommend that applicants submit and get verified in the Fall 2023 semester. If needed, verified applicants can submit an Academic Update through OTCAS to have Fall grades included.
- Applicants who wish to submit and become verified after the Fall semester are encouraged to complete your application 4 weeks prior to the deadline so that OTCAS will have it VERIFIED before the January 18 deadline.
How to Apply to the MS Program - Traditional and/or Hybrid
- All students accepted into the occupational therapy program must have a completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning prior to the beginning of the master's program coursework.
- All prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to the beginning of the master's program coursework.
Using the OTCAS application portal only, you must complete the following:
- Enter all college coursework into OTCAS. Send official transcripts from all higher education institutions previously attended, including GVSU, directly to OTCAS.
- Do not send them to GVSU.
- Submit three electronic evaluations within your OTCAS application - these can be from a professor, employer or an OT with whom you have volunteered.
- Complete and upload the Prerequisite GPA Calculation Form to your OTCAS application.
- At least 9 credit hours of prerequisites must be completed at the time of application. The elective and the statistics course are not included in this requirement. Each individual prerequisite course must be completed with a grade of C or better. GPA scores for the prerequisite courses, and for the last 60 hours must both be at or above 3.0.
- Complete this online shadowing experience . Password: LucasQU
- Once completed, take a screen shot of the completion page and upload it into OTCAS.
- Complete the following in the Experience section of OTCAS, with emphasis on:
- Health Related Experiences
- Teaching Experience
- Volunteer/Community Enrichment
- Once your application has been VERIFIED by OTCAS, you will then complete a GVSU supplemental application within OTCAS. If you have applied or taken classes at GVSU, the $30.00 application fee is waived.
Criteria for Interview
- After the deadline has passed, the admissions committee will review all of the VERIFIED applications. The applications will be scored on the following:
- Prerequisite GPA
- GPA of last 60 hours of course credit
- Letters of recommendation
- Completion of the Experience section in OTCAS with points assigned to the emphasis sections we requested.
- From the tabulation of the applicant's scores, we will then offer interviews to the top 70 applicants for the traditional program and the top 40 for the hybrid program.
- Selected interview applicants will have two independent interviews with two separate admission's committee members.
- The applicants interview scores will be added to their file.
Criteria for Entering the Program
- For the Traditional Program: The top 40 applicants with the highest scores will be offered a seat in our program. Applicants are asked to provide a written reply of acceptance or decline within a 7-day deadline. The balance of the qualified applicants that do not receive an initial offer, will we placed on an alternate list in the order of their total score. They will be offered a seat, in rank order, should another applicant decline.
- For the Hybird Program: The top 22 applicants with the highest scores will be offered a seat in our program. Applicants are asked to provide a written reply of acceptance or decline within a 7-day deadline. The balance of the qualified applicants that do not receive an initial offer, will we placed on an alternate list in the order of their total score. They will be offered a seat, in rank order, should another applicant decline.
- Applicants that are not selected are informed once each cohort is filled. Applicants that are not selected may reapply the following year.
- The Department does not admit students based on the ability to benefit.
Important Reminders and Frequently Asked Questions
- Applicants may apply to both the Traditional and the Hybrid program. However, applicants must identify their primary preference and their secondary preference.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring they meet all application requirements.
- Applicants are considered without regard to age, gender, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, political beliefs, or disability.
- Applicants must meet certain health and technical standards be able to demonstrate their capacity to function as a future Occupational Therapist.
- What undergraduate degree major do I need to apply to the MS program? Suggested majors are allied health sciences, biology, behavioral neuroscience, psychology, or sociology. Although these degrees provide a well-rounded background, any undergraduate major may be selected as long as the required occupational therapy prerequisite courses are completed along with the undergraduate degree before beginning the OT master's program.
- What prerequisite courses are required to apply to the OT Master's program? Here is the list of prerequisite courses required.
- To view the most common course equivalencies from other Michigan colleges and universities, please click on this link - Equivalencies from other Michigan Colleges and Universities. If you need further assistance with prerequisite transfer credits, please email [email protected].
- For applicants with advanced placement (AP) courses, our program will only accept the prerequisite STA 215 equivalent. Not other AP courses are allowed when calculating the prerequisite GPA.
- How many observation hours are required for my application? Our OT Master's Program application does not require observation hours. However, you may enter those hours in the Experiences section in OTCAS application.
- How do I know if my application is VERIFIED? refer to "Check Status" at the top right corner of your OTCAS application. Definitions of Application Statuses. Your OTCAS application must be VERIFIED by January 18th, 2024.
- How do you add fall grades to your verified application? if you plan to include your fall grades, you must have your OTCAS application VERIFIED before the fall semester ends. Then to add your Fall transcript to your application follow these Academic Update instructions.
- Can I transfer credits in from another institution's OT program? No, GVSU's OST Department does not accept any Occupational Therapy specific course to be transferred into its Master's of Occupational Therapy (MSOT) program. The two non-OT courses in the MSOT curriculum, PNH 535 & STA 610, can be taken in advance at GVSU, or their equivalent can be transferred in from another institution. An advanced discussion with OST admissions committee is required so that the candidate is pre-approved for these credits. Please contact GVSU's OST department at [email protected] or call 616-331-5500 for further information.
- What if I wish to withdraw from the program, request a leave of absence, and/or need to request a refund of my tuition? Please go to this website for all of the details on this procedure: Registration - Registrar - Grand Valley State University (gvsu.edu)