The Lake Michigan Writing Project (LMWP) is the National Writing Project (NWP) site that serves West Michigan from Grand Rapids to the lakeshore. Affiliated with Grand Valley State University, our programs enrich teachers by inviting them to grow as creative writers, as writing coaches, as teacher researchers, and as teachers of other teachers.
We believe that teachers who write and who share their best classroom practices with others become the best sources of knowledge about excellent pedagogy. We believe they are better able to teach writing, and they are often the best source for creating good writing habits for other teachers and students.
Our focus is to enrich teachers by providing interaction and writing time with each other. To achieve this mission, the LMWP conducts:
- An Invitational Summer Institute (ENG 632)
- A Teacher Research course (ENG 633)
- Professional Development Workshops during the school year led by teachers
- Open Institutes for teachers by teachers
- Professional Learning Communities at individual schools led by teachers
- Writing groups for teachers led by teachers
- Summer writing camps for youth led by teachers