Advising FAQ

Student Survival Guide:

"So how do I...?"

This guide answers common student questions about how to take care of important things. Many of the forms needed are available through the Registrar's Office.

If you want to...

You will need to...

Form or site to use:

Enroll in a closed (full) class

Submit a closed class permit request in Banner by following these instructions

myBanner Override Request

Request a prerequisite override for a course


Submit a prerequisite override request in Banner by following these instructions

myBanner Override Request

Drop a class, or withdraw from all classes, after the deadline

Provide written explanation for drop, obtain signature from instructor and department head, and submit to the Student Academic Success Center for review

Registration Drop/Add Form

Take a class as "credit/no credit" instead of a letter grade

Submit a Credit/No Credit Request Form to the Registrar's Office no later than the 5th day of the semester

Credit/No Credit Request Form

Change or add a major or minor

Submit change of major or minor in Banner


Change your academic advisor

Submit request for new advisor in Banner


Count a course toward both your major and the ENS minor

Be sure you have at least 30 unduplicated credits to count toward the major


Complete a Practicum (ENS 491) or Independent Research (ENS 399)

Learn about opportunities for independent practicums and research, obtain approval from the ENS Director, then register for ENS 399 or ENS 491

ENS Independent Learning

Complete an internship 

Find an internship opportunity, obtain approval from the ENS Director, then register for ENS 490

ENS Internship Guide

Apply for graduation (request a degree audit)

Submit an Application for Diploma to the Registrar's Office, preferably at the beginning of the semester prior to semester of graduation

Application for Undergraduate Diploma

Apply the Sustainable Food Systems Certificate to your academic record

Submit an Application for Certificate to the Registrar's Office, prior to the semester of completion

Application for Certificate

Change your GVSU catalog year

Complete the Curriculum/Catalog Year Update Request Form, email to [email protected] or deliver to the Registrar's Office/Student Assistance Center

Catalog Year Update Form

Page last modified April 12, 2022