What is NSSLHA?
NSSLHA, an acronym for National Student Speech Language Hearing Association, is an association for students interested in the field of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. NSSLHA is an affiliate with the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA), which is a professional organization for audiologists, speech-language pathologists, and speech, language, and hearing scientists. NSSLHA was founded in 1972, and has approximately 13,000 members with chapters at more than 300 colleges and universities. You can join NSSLHA at a national level for $60 and receive access to member’s digest, and more. You can also join grand valleys chapter at a local level for $5 a semester, and have access to all of the volunteer opportunities and events we host. We encourage local member to join at a national level as well, but it is not required.
Grand Valley State University’s chapter of NSSLHA aims to guide and enrich students interested in the area of speech-language pathology and audiology. Our goal is to provide volunteer opportunities, connect students with professionals, and facilitate helpful events. We also hope to aid our members transition into the professional world.
Upcoming Chapter Meetings:
- Nov. 14th KHS 1121 9-10pm
- Dec. 5th KHS 1121 9-10pm
- None scheduled at this time.
GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY CHAPTER
What are the dues?
- $5 per semester (no due over Spring/Summer)
Who can join?
- Any full or part time grand valley student interested in communication sciences and disorders
How many events do I need to keep my membership active?
- NSSLHA requires five events per semester. Three events need to be different.
What counts as a NSSLHA event?
- Weekly, biweekly, and monthly volunteer experience relating to communication sciences and disorders = 1 event per month
- NSSLHA hosted events = 1 event per experience
- Shadowing a speech-language pathologist or audiologist = 1 event per shadowing experience
- Anything you are getting paid for does not count for a NSSLHA event
How do I find volunteer opportunities
- NSSLHA's volunteer coordinator posts volunteer opportunities as they are found. View our Facebook page for these updates. (GVSU Chapter of NSSLHA, a closed group within GVSU)
Can I join part way through the year?
- Yes! We encourage students to join at the start of both semesters