LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
COST 2021 Annual Meeting & Conference
March 21-26, 2021 (Tentative)
Complete the Travel Itinerary
Please complete the travel itinerary form linked below:
COST 2020 Call for Presentation Proposals
The COST 2020 Annual Meeting & Conference call for presentation proposals is open now through March 13, 2020.
Please use the COST 2020 Presentation Proposal Form to complete your proposal and secure your spot in the agenda.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
The registration deadline for the 2020 Conference is February 1, 2020.
Please register guests separately using the designated Guest Registration Form.
The registration fee for this year's conference is $350. Guest registration is $225. Registration includes meals, transportation, and cultural tours.
Once again, we are pleased to waive the registration fee and accommodation for the duration of the conference for one Receiving Site Coordinator (registered as "Primary") per receiving site. All additional coordinators from each site (registered as "Secondary") will be charged in full upon submission of registration.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in Ourense!
Where to Stay
Please make your own hotel reservations
Both hotels below are in the center of Ourense, walking distance from each other (about 5 minutes), and walking distance from anything interesting in the city.
When contacting for reservations via email or phone, refer to group booking: "2020 COST Conference". No need to address anybody in particular when making the reservation. They speak English at both hotels. Consider the 6 hours time difference with continental U.S Eastern Time
Both Hotels are qualified as 4 stars (maximum is 5 stars). Price difference refers to "Hotel 2: Carrís" being a "boutique" hotel and of recent construction.
Deadline is February 1, 2020. If no rooms available before that date, contact Anna.
At time of booking, specify how many people in your room and if you want a single bed or double bed.
(Lodging and Venue for reception and sessions)
Address: Avenida de la Habana, 45. Ourense 32003
(English version available)
Phone: +34-988 269 538
- Single room: €44/night with breakfast
- Double room: €55/night with breakfast
Hotel Carrís Cardenal Quevedo
Address: Calle Cardenal Quevedo, 28-30. Ourense 32004
(English version available)
Phone: +34-988 375 523
Price: (no single rooms available)
- Double room single use: €77/night with breakfast
- Double room: €87/night with breakfast
For those of you who would like to stay in Ourense any number of nights before/after the Conference, and you find that the 2 selected Hotels have no availability, these are a couple of options, both in downtown as well and both walking distance from each other and from Hotel Princess (the place where the meetings take place) = no more than 10 minutes walking distance.
Hotel Barceló Ourense. This is a brand with locations worldwide. 4*
Address: Rúa Curros Enríquez, 1. Ourense 32003
Phone: At the website, click on the help icon and you will get a list of phone numbers to use depending on which country you are calling from.
(search for Ourense)
Hotel NH Ourense. Also a brand with locations worldwide. 4*
Address: Rúa Celso Emilio Ferreiro, 24. Ourense 32004
Phone: +34 988 601 111
Below you will find resources to help you prepare for the COST 2020 Conference and Meeting. Please contact Anna Abramenka for more information about the Consortium, conference program and meeting agenda.
Travel & Arrival
Plan to fly into Madrid and take a train to Ourense.
Train: If you are coming directly to Ourense from the Airport or if you are staying in Madrid before or after the Conference, the Train station of reference is "Madrid Charmartin". All the trains to/from the north and northwest (Ourense) of the country depart/arrive from/to that train station.
After landing in Madrid Airport.
From the airport: either to your Madrid Hotel or to Madrid Chamartin. Options:
a) Taxi: From every Terminal at the Airport. About €30 flat rate per taxi.
b) Commuter Trains: Airport Terminal 4, Underground level. About €5.50 (stops in Chamartin station, Sol Station -heart of downtown- and Atocha Station -museums-)
c) Metro: Airport Terminal 4, Underground level (similar price to train)
d) Public bus (similar price to train)
Recommended: Taxi or Commuter Train. The train takes about 20 minutes from the Airport train station to Chamartin. Add the time to purchase a ticket and the waiting time.
Hotel Recommendations if staying the night in Madrid
Both are walking distance from Atocha Train station and in the Golden Triangle of Art = Prado, Contemporary and Thyssen-Bornemisza Museums.
1. "Sleep´N Atocha": https://www.sleepnatocha.com/en/rooms/
2. Accor/Ibis chain: https://all.accor.com/gb/city/hotels-madrid-v2418.shtml
Accor/Ibis is a chain and has many locations in Madrid. Prices differ.
From the list, we have used "Hotel Ibis Styles Madrid Prado"
- Get your long distance train ticket as soon as they are available for purchase to guarantee a seat at the train at: www.renfe.com.
- Reference the train schedules for March 28 and Sunday, March 29 below. If you do not plan to travel to Ourense on Saturday or Sunday, check your preferred day of the week at the Renfe site.
- You can also reference the schedule for return tickets on Friday, April 3 below.
- Prices for online purchases are included in these screenshots but these are "dynamic", they get higher up to the day of departure. For example: an ALVIA train Madrid-Ourense with same day purchase-departure goes for about €45.
- Recommended: any ALVIA trains.
- Once at Chamartin Train Station, you still need to find the platform for your departure. Check the information boards and very important, Ourense/Orense will never be displayed on the boards since it is not the last station in the route. You are likely to see city names such as Pontevedra, Vigo, Lugo, A Coruña, or Ferrol (but never Ourense). To find out which platform you depart, match the departure time and the train number from your ticket to the same information on the board.
- Chamartin station has coffee-shops where you can purchase food and drinks to go. The "restaurant car" at the ALVIA trains has good prices for drinks but food is crappy.
- Finally, remember that COST students do this every time they travel to/from Ourense-Madrid. And many of them do not have experience traveling. :-)
See page 11 of the Ourense Student Handbook for more information about arrival and travel from Madrid to Ourense.
What to Expect
Cultural Tour Information
Conference Program at a Glance
Sunday, March 29 (evening)
Monday, March 30 (9:00-5:00)
Conference & Meeting
Tuesday, March 31 (9:00-1:00)
Conference & Meeting
Tuesday, March 31 (afternoon/evening)
Cultural Winery Tour & Dinner
Wednesday, April 1 (all day)
Cultural Tour of Santiago de Compostela
Thursday, April 2 (9:00-5:00)
Conference & Meeting
Friday, April 3 (9:00-12:00)
Meeting as needed/ School Visits TBD