For the health and safety of the Grand Valley community, remote academic instruction will continue through April 25. The Admissions office is available to answer calls Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 616-331-2025 or 1-800-748-0246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional instructions and updates at www.gvsu.edu/coronavirus
LEADS Online Accelerated Bachelor's Degree for Adult Students
What Do You Need to Get to What’s Next?
The world is changing rapidly. Jobs that existed yesterday may be gone tomorrow. Jobs that will be needed in the future will need qualified candidates. Whatever is next for you, we’re prepared to help you reach your goals. Grand Valley’s LEADS* program delivers an integrative studies bachelor’s degree PLUS a certificate in one of four high demand areas that employers are asking for by name: leadership, data analytics, project management, or global communications. These certificates can be integrated into your bachelor’s degree or you can earn them on their own, so you get more value without more time or cost.
The certificates are completely online. The bachelor’s degree is almost entirely online, requiring just two in-person, on-campus Saturday visits at any of our locations: Grand Rapids, Holland, Traverse City, or Detroit.
** Only two on-campus Saturday visits required during the whole program.
A Degree Made for You
This is a fast-paced, accelerated, online program designed to accommodate working adults. This major requires 56 credits. Those credits are a part of the 120 credits needed to earn a bachelor's degree. We will work with you to maximize any transfer credits toward the degree. The program could be completed in as few as 19 months.
- Our investment in your success: As proof of our confidence in you, we will reimburse the cost of your first completed course to apply to a future one. We want to lower your risk so you can start what’s next, now.
- Flexibility that fits your life: With classes offered primarily online, you can complete coursework when and where it's most convenient for you. You can also choose a combination of electives from several disciplines to build skills relevant to your personal and professional goals.
- Personalized support: Before you even start, get a tailored academic and career plan from an advisor, examining together all previous work to help keep you on a successful path to graduation and beyond.
- Transfer credit opportunities: You will receive credit for previous coursework and military experience.
- Bachelor's and beyond: As a Grand Valley student, you're a Laker for a Lifetime. We're committed to supporting you through your bachelor’s degree and whatever comes next. Whether it's your master's degree, your next certificate, or a badge, you can take advantage of the Laker Lifetime Learning (L3) account. L3 offers important financial resources and career coaching. We're here to support you through your lifetime of learning.
Skills Employers Ask For
In addition to the bachelor's degree in integrative studies, you will earn a certificate in one of these in-demand skills:
- Project management - Integrates industry-proven project management practices with Agile principles. Students work in small teams to effectively initiate, plan, execute, control, and bring closure to real-world project(s) using MS Project and other enterprise project management software.
- Applied data analytics - Focuses on understanding how to interpret, use, and apply data and statistics in the workplace. Students learn foundational computing and statistical skills like visualization, predictive analytics tools, and computer coding in Python and R.
- Leadership - Focuses on social change and business communication and includes further exploration into organizational theory, team building, design thinking, and grant writing. Students will develop professional skills that employers are looking for such as team building and ethics.
- Global communication - Prepares you with skills in effective communication within and across diverse international organizations by focusing on intercultural learning and competence in the global workplace.
Typical Student Profile
- are 24+ years of age;
- have 2+ years of work experience;
- are prepared for online learning; and
- possess a high level of motivation.
Many students entering the program have earned an associate’s degree or have 60+ credits. Thirty (30) credits are the minimum for entry into the degree program.
Financing your degree is one of the greatest concerns adults have in returning to college. That’s why we’ve set one price for all classes within this program.
- $500 per credit hour.
- Most classes are three credits, so you can generally count on $1,500 per class.
- After the completion of your first course, we will reimburse you for the cost of a future one.
Some options to help finance your degree:
- Grants and loans: Fill out the FAFSA.
- Scholarships: Several scholarships are specifically targeted to adult students, and our advisors are happy to help you find these.
- Company deferment: This plan allows you to defer the amount your employer will pay in tuition benefits until the end of the semester.
You will have a dedicated team to support you as you finish your degree! Your professional advisor will help keep you connected to university resources and plan your degree progress. Your faculty advisor will help connect you to internship opportunities and help you think about how your degree will connect to your career goals. Program staff help you work closely with Career Services to help prepare you for whatever your next step is. Although the majority of classes are online, we're just a phone call away. We also have convenient satellite locations in Traverse City, Detroit, Holland, and Grand Rapids.
Access Learning on Your Time
All classes are accelerated six-week sessions and are primarily online with the exception of two in-person meetings during the course of your degree. This is a great option for busy adult students because it minimizes the amount of time you need to spend in a classroom and commuting.
In our online classes, you can access program content and contribute to class discussions each week when it fits your schedule. You do not need to be online on a specific day, and just like a traditional course, you can expect to have a syllabus with a course calendar for due dates. Just check the course calendar and stick to deadlines.
This quiz assesses your learning style, along with your technology and academic skills. After the quiz, you will receive feedback on your strengths and opportunities to further develop your skills and decide whether online classes are right for you.
Contact Us to Take the Next Step
Your first step will be to meet with an academic advisor. We understand that you may be exploring your options, and our advisors are dedicated to helping you reach your educational goals, whether it's through this program or something else. And you'll continue to work with your advisors throughout the program to schedule courses, plan internships, explore career options, and plan for graduation. Click below to schedule with an advisor, call us at 616-331-7180 or email us.
This program is designed for mature and motivated learners who want to complete their degree or certificate with a virtual community of similarly dedicated individuals. The admissions requirements are
- a completed application;
- official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended;
- thirty (30) completed college credits;
- a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for those who demonstrate a potential for academic success in other ways); and
- a paid application fee of $30.
Would you rather learn face-to-face?
If accelerated, online learning isn't for you, we offer a traditional B.A. or B.S. degree in integrative studies at several Grand Valley locations. This program is taught face-to-face with customizable emphases you can shape to fit your career goals. Visit the integrative studies website to find out more about this unique program.
* Lifelong Educational Attainment for Diverse Students (LEADS)