Science Key Card Access - Guidelines
Volunteers in the Lab
For those students who are graduating, but still would like to tie up loose strings in the lab please have them fill out the volunteer disclosure and consent form. A link to this form is below.
Basic Guidelines of Student Key Card Policy
- A student will be assigned to each key card along with the initiating faculty member. Student Key Cards are not transferable. If a student is no longer working with the initiating faculty member the card can be changed as a student moves from research group to research group.
- Students may fill out a request or their PI can fill out a request for them. All student card requests will be confirmed by an email to the PI.
Key cards will be activated when all following requirements are met.
- Department signs off on use.
- PI signs off on use.
- Lab Safety Training has been completed.
Access to Core Spaces
- Access to these spaces will require more training then general laboratory safety training. Some examples Pandos Hall Shop, Radiation Room, Vivarium, KHS Microscopy Suite, KHS Instrument Room, Greenhouse. These spaces will be denoted with red buttons on the key card request form.
- Please schedule a meeting time with the primary contact for this space. Once you have completed training access will be granted on your key card.
- Key cards will remain active for one year. After a year students must renew their card.
- The last faculty/staff member working with the students is responsible for collecting the access card as the student completes research activities, or work related obligations.
For faculty who are interested in having students work in laboratories in the late evening and on weekends, they will have to fill out an after hours policy. This can be done through the Lab Safety Office. Once a plan is on file students can request this extended access through the science key card request form
What is considered after-hours
Standard Access ends at 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday.
After hours is considered.
- E1 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. M/T/W/R 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. F/Sa/Su
- E2 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. 7 days a week
- E3 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 7 days a week
- E4 24 hr/day Weekdays only
- E5 24 hr/day 7 days a week
Types of Key Cards - Definitions
- Faculty and Staff – These cards are set with 24/7 access unless otherwise noted by a department specific function. They do not expire.
- Student Cards – An access card assigned to a student employee or student researcher for access to specific spaces. These cards can have up to 24/7 access, but require an after hour’s policy in place by the faculty mentor, or Principle Investigator. These cards will expire every year. If a student would like multiyear access they will have to renew each year. The expiration date is May 15th of each year. These cards are non transferable.
- Classroom Cards – Cards assigned for access to spaces needed for standard lab work specified by course schedule. These cards will expire May 15th of each year.