Science Equipment Support Program
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) understands that the most efficient method to provide access to scientific equipment is to support the cross-departmental sharing of new and existing equipment. The SES Program has been established to allow the college to share in the cost of repairing or replacing equipment that is utilized by multiple departments. Departments may submit SES cost-sharing requests for equipment repair or replacement costs that are greater than $500. This program is managed by the Director of Laboratory Services.
The goals of the program are:
1. To allow essential equipment to be repaired or replaced by departments;
2. To help support shared equipment in core scientific areas that are used by Investigator(s) and departments;
3. To provide utilities and furniture to facilitate the use of equipment in laboratory spaces.
SES Program requests must meet one or more of the following criteria in order to be considered for cost-sharing support:
1. The equipment has a significant impact on the pedagogical practices of the department or program;
2. The equipment is utilized by a large population of students which would be negatively impacted by the unavailability of the equipment;
3. The equipment is utilized by multiple researchers/investigators.
Departments and the college will share the cost of all funded requests. Cost-sharing will be available for all repairs or replacements costing more than $500 and departments must cover the first $500 of any repair. Cost-sharing will be implemented as follows:
- Repairs ≤ $1000: The department covers the first $500. The SES program covers the balance.
- Repairs > $1000: The department and the SES program will split the cost equally.
- If multiple departments use equipment supported by the SES program, those departments will share half the cost of the repair or replacement and the SES program will cover the balance.