2022-2023 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Bachelor of Science in Earth Science
For additional information about opportunities your college offers, please refer to The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in this catalog.
Requirements for a Major in Earth Science
The earth science B.S. is designed for students who want to pursue a career in secondary education. The major can also serve as a pathway to other careers. Michigan teacher certification requires completion of the College of Education and Community Innovation professional program and a minor area of study. The geology department strongly recommends students in this major complete a biology minor. Earth science majors with a biology minor can earn a science (DI) endorsement with an additional nine credits coursework. Students are encouraged to visit their advisor to design the best possible curricular track. A minimum of 2.7 GPA in the major is required for recommendation for teacher certification. Completion of a major in earth science requires the following.
1. Degree Requirements
General university degree requirements must be met as identified in the General Academic Regulations section of the Grand Valley State University Graduate and Undergraduate Catalog.
2. Geology Courses
Includes 33 semester credit hours of geology courses with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
- GEO 111 - Exploring the Earth (4 credits) OR GEO 100 - Environmental Geology (3 credits) OR GEO 103 - Oceans (3 credits) OR GEO 105 - Living with the Great Lakes (3 credits)
- GEO 112 - Earth History (4 credits)
- GEO 175 - Research Tools for Geosciences (1 credit)
- GEO 203 - Weather and Climate for Pre-Service Teachers (3 credits)
- GEO 214 - Solid Earth Materials and Systems (4 credits)
- GEO 220 - Earth Surface Materials and Systems (4 credits)
- GEO 320 - Geomorphology (4 credits)
- GEO 430 - Oceanography (3 credits)
- GEO 485 - Geology Research and Writing Seminar (1 credit)
- GEO 486 - Geology Reading Seminar (1 credit) (recommended to take before GEO 485)
3. Cognate Science Courses
Includes 23 semester credit hours of science cognate courses with a minimum overall GPA of C (2.0).
- CHM 115 - Principles of Chemistry I (4 credits)
- MTH 122 - College Algebra (3 credits)
- MTH 123 - Trigonometry (3 credits)
- PHY 105 - Descriptive Astronomy (3 credits)
- PHY 220 - General Physics I (5 credits)
- PHY 221 - General Physics II (5 credits)
Suggested Order of Coursework
The CLAS Academic Advising Center has earth science curriculum guides for the major.