Skip to main content

2012-2013 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog

Search Help

Campus Services

Affirmative Action Office

Grand Valley State University is committed to achieving the goals of equal employment and educational opportunity through affirmative action. The major responsibility of this office is to devise, implement, and direct the university's Affirmative Action program. It is also the goal of Grand Valley to maintain a positive work environment for its employees and a climate conducive to learning for its students. To this end, it is the university's policy that no member of its community may illegally harass another. Employee complaints regarding discrimination or harassment of any kind should be filed with the Director of Affirmative Action. Student to student complaints regarding discrimination or harassment of any kind should be filed with the Dean of Students' Office. For more information, contact the Affirmative Action Office, Room 14 Zumberge. Telephone (616) 331-2242. Or, contact the Associate Dean of Students, Room 202 Student Services Building. Telephone (616) 331-3585.

Alcohol Education, Research, and Training Laboratories (ALERT Labs) School of Communications

Students may choose to (1) serve as peer educators, making presentations and conducting experiential training in university housing units and/or classrooms; (2) assist in the development, administration, and analysis of research instruments to measure student behavior toward and perceptions of the use of alcohol and other drugs among their peers; (3) assist in the development, planning, and implementation of specific prevention projects, e.g., the Communication and Social Norms Misperceptions Campaign; (4) develop and write grant proposals, progress reports, news releases, and scholarly articles; (5) produce video and photographic programs for use in classes and in the residential community; (6) work with others as "sponsors" in the Pathways to Recovery Program for students who have been addicted to alcohol and other drugs.

Students use and further develop their skills in areas such as oral communication, leadership, teamwork, networking, writing, videography, photography, and quantitative and qualitative research methods. At the same time, the total population of students at Grand Valley State University reduces it use of alcohol and other drugs. Students interested in working for ALERT Labs or in internships are invited to call (616) 331-2537 or to email [email protected].

The Bookstore

Textbooks for classes taught at Grand Valley State University are available through University Bookstore with locations in Allendale and Grand Rapids. Students attending classes on the Allendale campus will find their textbooks and required supplies at UBS on the first floor of the Kirkhof Center. In addition, the store offers a large selection of Grand Valley State University imprinted clothing and gifts, as well as a variety of classroom supplies, computer software, and books for leisure reading. The Allendale store also provides textbooks for students who attend classes at satellite locations throughout Michigan, including Holland, Muskegon, and Traverse City. Textbooks and merchandise may be ordered on the Web at or by phone at (866) 299-0001.

UBS Allendale is open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. Hours are extended the first week of the semester. Telephone (616) 331-2450.

Students who attend classes on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus may purchase their textbooks at University Bookstore adjacent to the plaza on the first floor of the Richard M. DeVos Center. Hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Telephone (616) 331-6602.

Shuttle Service

Transportation between, within, and around the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus and Allendale Campus is easy and convenient with the variety of shuttle service options available. Grand Valley State University offers four separate routes for students, faculty, and staff.

  • Campus Connector Route
    • Grand Valley State University's Campus Connector provides service between Allendale and Grand Rapids with runs Monday through Friday during the fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters. The Campus Connector makes round trips from the Pew Campus to the Kirkhof Center on the Allendale Campus with stops along Lake Michigan Drive and at Mackinac Hall.

  • CHS Express Route
    • The CHS Express provides service between the main Campus Connector stop on the Pew Campus and the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS). The CHS Express runs Monday through Friday during the fall, winter, spring and summer semesters. Parking for all students attending class at the Center for Health Sciences is located in Grand Valley's Seward parking ramp at the corner of Lake Michigan Drive and Seward Avenue on the Pew Campus.

  • Off-Campus Apartment Shuttle Route
    • The Off-Campus Apartment Shuttle provides service between a variety of private apartment complexes immediately adjacent to the Allendale campus and the Kirkhof Center. The Off-Campus Apartment Shuttle runs Monday through Friday during the fall and winter semesters only.
  • Weekend Connector Route
    • The Weekend Connector combines all three other routes ? The Campus Connector, CHS Express, and the Off-Campus Apartment Shuttle into one continuous loop. The Weekend Connector runs Friday evening to Sunday evening each weekend during the fall and winter semesters only.

Schedules and frequencies for all services are subject to change, so please review current schedules at Please note that frequencies of service are reduced during the spring/summer semesters. Questions about the shuttle bus services should be directed to the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus Operations Office at (616) 331-6700 or to [email protected].

Campus Ministry

The interdenominational Campus Ministry Council offers a ministry to the university community through worship services, Bible study groups, speakers, retreats, discussions, service opportunities, and pastoral counseling. Weekly services include Sunday worship at 10:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. and Catholic Mass at 4:30 p.m. The Campus Ministry Offices are located in the Cook-DeWitt Center. Telephone (616) 331-3111 or (616) 331-3112.

The Children's Enrichment Center

The Grand Valley State University Children's Center, located on West Campus Drive, serves young children ages 3 to 12, both from the campus and the nearby community. Programs are designed to help children nurture habits of intellectual growth, curiosity, and a love for learning. Hours are from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday year round. Telephone (616) 895-4146 or toll free (866) 814-4146.

Campus Recreation

"Shaping students and the University community to commit to a healthy lifestyle"

The Campus Recreation department is committed to the well being of the University community. Our programs and services are offered through Intramural Sports and the Fitness and Wellness Center. Together we strive to be a leader on campus by developing a culture that values health and wellness as a life-long goal. For more information visit:

Intramural Sports (phone 331-3218)
The intramural sports program provides a quality recreational sports experience for a diverse university community. Through sport and leisure activities, the program enhances the participant's university experience by promoting student development in a safe environment. The intramural sports program offers 20 different sports in the fall, winter and spring semesters in men's, women's and co-rec divisions of play for both competitive and recreational skill levels. GVSU students, faculty, and staff are eligible to participate. The intramural sports program include: Basketball, Flag Football, Softball, Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Golf, Racquetball, Bowling, Table Tennis, Billiards and many more.

Fitness and Wellness Center (phone 331-3659)
The Fitness and Wellness Center is located on the lower level of the Recreation Center. The center offers a variety of fitness and wellness services for students, faculty, and staff. Free services include health risk appraisals, health screening, fitness testing, exercise programming, equipment orientations, and nutritional counseling. Services that are offered at a cost include group exercise passes, cholesterol testing, personal training, and massage therapy. The Fitness and Wellness Center sponsors various programs such as recreation clinics, health fairs, CPR training, fitness challenges, and on campus education outreach.

Health Services

The Campus Health Center is located at 10383 A 42nd Avenue on the Allendale Campus. The purpose of the Health Center is to provide urgent health care for students, faculty, staff, and their families. The center provides an array of health services including physical examinations, health screening, allergy injections and immunizations, treatment of short-term illnesses and/or injuries, contraceptive services, health education, and the management of long-term health problems. Physician assistants and nurses provide health services Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Health Center operates on a fee for service basis and students either pay at the time of service or request that the fee be placed on their university bill.

Grand Valley State University students may subscribe to a health insurance plan offered through a commercial insurance company. Dependent and maternity benefits are available in this policy.


Approximately 8,900 parking spaces are available in 18 lots on the Allendale Campus and 3,200 spaces in 12 lots on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus for students who wish to drive their cars to Grand Valley. Anyone wishing to park on the Allendale or Pew campus must have a parking permit. Permits for resident or commuting students can be ordered electronically at The permit cost will be charged to the student's account.

Visitors to the Allendale campus can obtain a free visitor permit from the Department of Public Safety office located in the service building on the north end of campus. When visiting the Robert C. Pew campus, free visitor permits are available from the security office in the L.V. Eberhard Center. There is also metered parking available on both campuses.

Department of Public Safety

The Department of Public Safety is a full-service law enforcement agency with full arrest powers and is responsible for enforcing state laws as well as all university rules and regulations, and for maintaining a safe and secure environment for the campus community. Department personnel are trained in first aid and other emergency procedures. The department also maintains a Lost and Found Bureau and a Parking Violations Bureau and approves drivers for operating state vehicles.

The department is located in the Service Building at the north end of campus. Telephone (616) 331-3255.

Public Safety Liaison Committee

The Grand Valley State University Public Safety Liaison Committee is an oversight committee for the Grand Valley State University Department of Public Safety, created under the authority of Act 120 of the Public Acts of 1990 of the State of Michigan.

The primary function of the committee is to consider grievances by persons with complaints related to the Department of Public Safety and its personnel. The Public Safety Liaison Committee is comprised of individuals nominated and elected by the faculty, students, and staff of Grand Valley State University as determined by the university president. The committee includes a minimum of two students, two members of faculty, and two members of staff who are neither members of faculty nor the public safety department. The director of Public Safety serves as an ex-officio and non-voting member. The committee encourages complainants to first attempt informal resolution of any dissatisfaction by working with the Grand Valley State University Department of Public Safety. For more information, please contact the Public Safety Liaison Committee at


WGVU-TV 35/WGVU-DT 11 and WGVK-TV 52/WGVK-DT 5, affiliated with the Public Broadcasting Service, present a variety of informative and entertaining programs including children's shows, public affairs, cultural offerings, and sports. The stations also supply educational programming for thousands of elementary and secondary school children, and produce several local programs for West Michigan.

WGVU 88.5 FM Grand Rapids and 95.3 FM Whitehall are National Public Radio stations licensed to the Grand Valley State University Board of Trustees. The stations broadcast jazz and news and information programs from NPR. A strong commitment to local news is emphasized.

WGVU 1480 AM Grand Rapids and 850 AM Muskegon are National Public Radio stations also licensed to the Grand Valley State University Board of Trustees. The stations broadcast NPR programs and local news, talk, and information programs.

For those planning careers in broadcasting, the television and radio stations offer many intern positions through which students can gain practical on-the-job training under actual broadcast conditions. Our television and radio stations also provide employment opportunities and professional experience for students, and two annual Grand Valley tuition scholarships are awarded. The offices and studios are located in the Meijer Public Broadcast Center on the Robert C. Pew campus.

Office of Graduate Studies and Grants Administration


The Office of Graduate Studies and Grants Administration is located in the Richard M. DeVos Center on the Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus. The Pew Campus is home base for most of Grand Valley State University's graduate degree programs. Many graduate programs and courses are offered in Grand Rapids so that they are more accessible to adult learners living or working throughout the Grand Rapids metropolitan area. Additionally, many graduate programs offer classes in outlying communities throughout Northern, Central, and Southern Michigan.

Graduate Studies

The Dean of Graduate Studies works on behalf of all graduate students to ensure that Grand Valley State University's graduate programs are of the highest quality that faculty teaching graduate courses are well qualified to teach at the graduate level, and that university policies and procedures are applied appropriately to graduate students. The Graduate Dean and staff work closely with the Provost, the Graduate Council, the Office of Admissions, Academic Deans, Department Chairs, the Graduate Program Directors Advisory Group, the Division of Continuing Education, the Registrar, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and Student Financial Aid to advocate on behalf of graduate students and to provide leadership and vision for graduate education at Grand Valley.

Currently enrolled graduate students or persons interested in graduate studies at Grand Valley State University are welcome to visit the Graduate Dean on the third floor of the Richard M. DeVos Center, for assistance, advice, or to provide feedback on any aspect of their graduate education; telephone (616) 331-7105. For general questions about the admissions process for graduate students at Grand Valley, students should contact the Associate Director for Graduate Admissions at (616) 331-2025. For questions about a specific graduate degree program, contact the graduate program director for that program. Contact information for graduate program directors may be found on the Graduate Admissions Web site.

Graduate Council
The Graduate Studies office provides administrative support to the Graduate Council, which is part of university faculty governance. The Graduate Council is responsible for oversight of university policies relating to graduate education, and the review and approval of graduate curriculum. The Graduate Council's voting membership is made up of elected faculty representatives from each college and the university library, and two graduate students who are elected by the Graduate and Professional Students Association. The Graduate and Professional Students Association (GPSA) is a recognized student organization, eligible to receive funds from the Office of Student Life. More on GPSA can be found in the Student Life organizations section of this catalog.

Graduate Dean's Citations for Academic Excellence
The Dean of Graduate Studies presents awards to outstanding graduate students to recognize them for academic achievement. Nominations for awards are submitted to the Graduate Studies office by the graduate program director in the student's area of study. Awards are presented twice per year at the Graduate Student Celebration, held in December for students who graduated in the previous Spring/Summer and at the end of the Fall semester, and in April for students graduating at the end of the Winter semester. Awardees receive a certificate and honor cord which can be worn at the commencement ceremony.
Besides awards for academic achievement, the Graduate Dean's Citations for Academic Excellence also include recognition for service to the community, service to the university, and for outstanding master's thesis. The recipient of the award for outstanding master's thesis may be eligible to submit their thesis to the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools for consideration for a regional award.

Graduate Assistantships
The Graduate Studies office is responsible for the administration of the university's graduate assistantship (GA) policies. Assistantships provide graduate students with part-time, paid work experiences in their field of study and allow them to expand and apply the knowledge and skills they learn in the classroom in a work setting. Graduate assistants typically work either 10 or 20 hours per week, depending on the terms of their appointment. Under the Graduate Assistantship program, faculty and university staff benefit as well, in that they receive assistance with special projects and assignments that require the advanced skills that graduate students possess. Students receive tuition support as well as a stipend, which may help them lower the overall cost of attending graduate school.

Students interested in a graduate assistantship should first discuss their interest with their academic advisor or graduate director within their program as students often find assistantships within their programs. However, other academic and non-academic units may have positions available as well. While the Graduate Studies office administers the policies and makes the final determination as to the students' eligibility for an assistantship appointment, the advertisement of positions and the selection process are performed by the hiring department. More information on graduate assistantships may be found in the Costs and Financial Aid and Student Services/Student Employment sections of the Grand Valley State University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog.

Requests for Exceptions to Graduate Policy
The Dean of Graduate Studies is responsible for the review and final approval or denial of Petitions for Exception to graduate student policies. The student's academic advisor, graduate program director or dean of the college where the program resides, must support all exceptions in order for the Dean of Graduate Studies to approve them. The following information should be included in the Petition for Exception: how many hours in excess of the 12 credit limit the student has completed, the factors that prevented the student from being admitted to the program in a timely way, if the courses are within the 8-year limit or 5-year transfer limit, if the student is currently enrolled in classes, the student's academic performance, if the courses are required to complete the degree, if the student is admitted to the program as of the submission of the petition. All must be submitted to the Graduate Dean either via e-mail or in a letter.

Graduate students should note that the "clock" for their degree begins with the first course taken toward the degree.

Petition for Exception: for 12 credit hour limit on courses completed prior to admission to a program:
GVSU policy allows graduate students to take a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours without being admitted to a specific graduate program. Once the student gains admission to a graduate program, any credit hours beyond the limit must be granted an exception to the policy in order to be counted toward the degree. The student seeking this exception should contact their academic advisor to initiate the Petition for Exception.

8-year Time Limit to Degree Completion:
All courses to be counted for a master's degree at GVSU must be completed within 8 years. This time limit is a way of ensuring the student's validity and currency of knowledge at the time of graduation. The student will be required to either repeat the course or take an approved substitute, if unable to demonstrate currency.

5-year Time Limit on Transfer Courses:
Transfer credits from another institution that are more than five years old will severely limit the time available to complete the GVSU courses required for a master's degree. All transfer courses from other universities must be evaluated by the Registrar's Office to determine if they are graduate level courses and that the student earned a grade of B or better.

Credit Overload:
Full-time graduate students register for 9 to 12 credit hours per semester. Permission from the Dean of Graduate Studies is required for more than 15 hours per semester.

Petition to Return: non-degree students who have been dismissed
Non-degree seeking graduate students applying for readmission to the university after dismissal for failure to maintain a 3.0 GPA must complete a Petition to Return prior to being readmitted to the university or admitted to a specific graduate program. The student must provide a statement that explains factors that led to the low GPA and a plan of study that would permit the student to overcome the low GPA. This plan must be approved by the Graduate Director in the program into which the student seeks to gain admission. The student is not allowed admission into the program until the GPA is raised.
Please refer to the Graduate Academic Policies and Regulations section of the Grand Valley State University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog for further information on academic review, probation, and dismissal.

Grants Development and Administration

Grants Development and Administration encourages active scholarship among faculty and students, both graduate and undergraduate. This office provides oversight and services in the management of sponsored programs and grants. The role of this office is to assist Grand Valley faculty and staff in the pre-award process of developing proposals and finding potential funding sources as well as submitting grant proposals to funding sources, and also works with the project directors of such grants in managing and monitoring their grant awards.

Faculty and staff who receive grant funding often utilize students to assist them with their research. Doing so gives students an opportunity to conduct hands-on research and enhances their academic experience, while at the same time the faculty member can contribute new knowledge to their field of expertise.
To foster the quality of the grants submitted to potential funding sources, this office offers workshops on proposal writing and project management. Proposal writing workshops are offered twice per year, during the break between the Winter and Spring/Summer semesters, and in the Fall semester. The Grants Development and Administration office from time to time allows graduate students to attend the workshops, upon request from their research or academic advisor.
The Faculty Research and Development Center (R&D), part of Graduate Studies and Grants Administration, provides internal funding support for tenure track faculty presentations at state, national, and international academic conferences. R&D also funds research grants-in-aid and summer stipends to support faculty research. The R&D Center provides travel grants-in-aid to undergraduate and graduate students who have been invited to present their research at state or national conferences. Limited Presidential Research Grants-in-Aid are available to graduate students to complete Masters Thesis research work.

Faculty Research and Development Center

Supports and oversees two regulatory compliance and protections offices, the Human Research Review Committee for all human subjects' research, and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee for all animal research.

Continuing Education

Continuing Education at Grand Valley State University provides educational programs and services that link the needs of lifelong learners with the resources of the university. Continuing Education coordinates this commitment by providing academic programs and services at regional sites and locations throughout Michigan, as well as through professional development and community engagement opportunities. Visit the Continuing Education Web site at

Programs and Locations:

At the Meijer Campus in Holland, Grand Valley offers the 100- and 200-level freshman and sophomore classes for those just beginning a degree completion program. Upper level courses are offered in a variety of majors. In addition, several graduate courses are offered. Personal and professional development workshops are also offered at the Meijer Campus. Individuals and organizations seeking additional information about Grand Valley in Holland should call (616) 394-4848 or (616) 331-3910

The Muskegon Center, located at the James L. Stevenson Center for Higher Education, on the campus of Muskegon Community College, offers undergraduate degree completion programs in, teacher certification (social studies/elementary education). Graduate degrees include education, and social work. For more information about Grand Valley in Muskegon call (231) 777-0505 or visit

Grand Valley State University also offers degree completion programs and community outreach to Northern Michigan. The Traverse City regional center, located at the University Center of Northern Michigan College, offers undergraduate degrees, elementary teacher certification (language arts and social studies), and liberal studies. Students can earn a master's degree in education and social work. Other Northern Michigan locations include Sault Ste. Marie and Cadillac. For information about Grand Valley in Northern Michigan call (231) 995-1785 or visit

Distance Education

The university offers a variety of distance education opportunities designed to help students overcome barriers of location and/or time constraints. The delivery systems include various combinations of two-way interactive television and online courses.

Online Courses

Grand Valley State University offers courses via the Internet. Information about the courses and programs is available at

Noncredit Services

Continuing Education sponsors selected training an dprofessional development activities to serve the business and professional communities and individuals in West Michigan. Seminars and workshops are available online, at the Meijer Campus in Holland or onsite. Information about noncredit services and seminars can be found on the Division's Web site or by calling (616) 331-7180.

Professional Development Partnership (PDP)

Continuing Education through PDP works with school districts in providing staff development. To arrange for university credit on SB-CEUs, contact the office at (616) 331-6522 or visit

Grand Forum

Continuing Education, through Grand Forum provides lifelong learning programs for learners of age 55 and up. Information on Grand Forum is available by calling (616) 331-6615.

If you are in need of assistance please submit any questions or comments.