Sustainability: What We're Doing on Campus
Engrained: Certified Green Restaurant
Laker Food Company is proud to earn a 3 Star Green Restaurant Certification for the sustainability efforts at Engrained.
- Composting is the process of recycling organic waste material into natural fertilizer. Pre- and post-consumer composting is available at all Laker Food Company restaurants.
- Single-stream recycling is available campus-wide. Look for a designated recycling bin at dining locations.
- Landfill streams are reserved for waste that cannot be recycled or composted. We provide composting and recycling to minimize the amount of waste needed to go to landfill.
- Items that belong in each waste stream can be found on the respective trash bin.
- Learn more about Waste Sorting.
- Coffee and tea brands, including Java City, Starbucks, Bewley's and Tazo offer Fair Trade Coffee and Tea.
- Fair Trade chocolate, dried tropical fruit, ice cream, sugar and tea are available.
- Compostable disposable-ware is utilized as often as possible. This includes plates, bowls, lids and napkins made of sugar cane, biodegradable cups, corn-based cutlery and portion cups made from natural and renewable products.
- All sub-contracted food service providers of Laker Food Company must, at a minimum, comply with Laker Food Company’s guidelines with respect to composting food waste and providing compostable or otherwise recyclable service ware.
- Laker Food Company partners with the Michigan Department of Transportation to participate in Adopt-a-Highway. Employee volunteers clean up a 2-mile section of I-196 three times a year to make Michigan's highways beautiful.
- Participation with Sustainability Week and the Sustainable Chef Challenge.
- Participation in GVSU Farmer's Market and Farm to Table.
- Partnership with the SAP where employees volunteer time to the farm efforts and agree to purchase produce from the farm whenever possible.
If you have further questions about the sustainability efforts of Laker Food Company, please reach out to our Sustainability Manager:
Phone: (616) 331-8636
Email: [email protected]