Coaching Tool Kit
The START Coaching Tool Kit slides and documents are intended to be printed and organized in a binder to serve as a three-point communication tool during IEP, behavior, and staff meetings. Three-point communication strategies are designed to enhance communication and the sharing of information and avoid potential challenges and defensiveness that can occur during two-point communication (i.e. two people looking at each other and talking to each other), especially when discussing topics of disagreement. Adding a third point, the tool kit slides and documents/resources, can improve communication and problem solving and reduce defensiveness and barriers to communication.
The Coaching Tool Kit PowerPoint is a compilation of slides from various START modules that represent topics that often come up in IEP, behavior, and team meetings. The documents are visual tools to enhance discussion and focus on systems and practice rather than opinion or common practice. Coaches are free to use these slides or choose others that better represent the topics that typically arise in their meetings.
Coaching Toolkit Webinar
- Academic and Cognitive Profiles of Students with Autism: Implications for Classroom Practice and Placement
- Classroom Environment and Teaching Assessment-Revised (CETA-R)
- Does Self-Contained Special Education Deliver On Its Promises? A Critical Inquiry Into Research and Practice
- Effective Practices Assessment Tool (EPAT) for Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Student Engagement Data Form
- Independence Data Form
- Evidence-Based Practice and Autism in the Schools: A Guide to Providing Appropriate Interventions to Students with ASD
- Evidence-Based Practices for Children, Youth, and Young Adults with ASD (National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders)
- Working Definitions for Evidence-Based Practices (National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders)
- Involvement and Progress in the General Curriculum for Students With Extensive Support Needs: K–12 Inclusive-Education Research and Implications for the Future
- The Dynamic Relationship Between Context, Curriculum, and Student Learning: A Case for Inclusive Education as a Research-based Practice
- Universal Supports Assessment and Planning Tool (USAPT)