Anthropology Internship Program
Anthropology Internship Program
The department offers a range of internship opportunities through its ANT 490 course. The objective of the internship program is to acquaint students with the work of research libraries, museums, community organizations, government agencies, and other cultural institutions in order to enhance students' knowledge of sources, research methodologies, institutional cultures, and work environments. This course helps anthropology students prepare to enter professional employment by working under a site supervisor who provides on-the-job training in a variety of work situations related to anthropology.
The internship manual describes the policies and processes associated with completing an anthropology internship for academic credit.
Internship Portfolio Checklist (pdf)
Describes the objectives, logistics and requirements for an internship.
ANT 490 Work Plan Form and Instructions (doc)
Students fill out the Work Plan Form and attach 1) a statement of job responsibilities and expected products related to the site responsibilities, and educational goals related to the internship. As a minimum academic requirement, the internship requires that the student maintain an academic journal, submit a one-page Internship Report describing her or his experience, a reflection essay, and an updated résumé.
Anthropology Internship Resources
There are many internship opportunities available to GVSU anthropology students. This document lists possible internship sites, as well as other resources, to help students identify internships of interest.
(pdf) Resources for students to explore practical training and career paths in Anthropology. These books are available at GVSU.
American Anthropological Association Summer Internship Program The American Anthropological Association offers two internship opportunities funded by member donations during summer months. Internships are six weeks; although like many internships, they are unpaid; however; interns are provided housing and a meal/travel stipend. Eligibility: Undergraduate students in their junior or senior year; or first Year Graduate students.
Search for an Internship Click on "Search for an Internship" to explore job and internship resources provided by the GVSU Career Center. In addition, the Anthropology Department keeps a database of organizations where students have interned previously.
Anthropology Internship Resources and Opportunities
When we learn about new internships, we post them here.
For Community Partners
(download the form) Fill our a "Community Partner" form if you would like to provide us with contact information which will go into our Internship Database for students to review as they consider potential internship placements.
Back to Field Schools and Internships Main Menu
RECENT SUCCESS STORIES
- Sara Jensen, Native American Traditions Today (2017) (Brashler)
- Kristina Viegelahn, Spectrum Health (2017) (Hedges)
- Sara Flowers, Fulton Street Farmer’s Market (2017) (Rhoads)
- Joseph Butler, Fulton Street Farmer’s Market (2017) (Rhoads)
- Kylie Pennington, Fulton Street Farmer’s Market (2017) (Rhoads)
- Ashley Jacobs, Bethany Refugee and Immigrant Services (2017) (Hedges)
- Andra Durham, GVSU Johnson Center for Philanthropy (2017) (Weibel)
- Brooke Fox, GVSU Sustainable Agriculture Project (2017) (Hefferan)
- Raelynn Nelson, Bethany Refugee and Immigrant Services (2017) (Hefferan)
- Ashley Day, Lakeshore Museum (2017) (Brashler)
- Angel Ruster, Samaritas (2017) (Ruster)
- Meghan Forest, Blinds.com (2016) (Schwartz)
- Meredith Ament, Moose (L) UP Redemption Club (2015) (Wroblewski)
- Katharine Steinke, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2015) (Arnold)
- Brooke Engel, Lakeshore Museum (2015) (Arnold)
- Christopher Doleshal, Bethany Christian Services (2014) (Wroblewski)
- Valerie Clanton, West Michigan Refugee Education and Cultural Center (2014) (Hefferan)
- Jeremy Coldicott, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2014) (Schwartz)
- Elizabeth Bush, Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary (2014) (Schwartz)
- Megan Roche, Opening Village Doors Foundation (2014) (Weibel)
- C. Brokenshire, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2013) (Madden)
- Katie Ahlers, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2012) (Weibel)
- Judy Bailey, Newaygo County Museum (2012) (Rhoads)
- Rebecca Alberda, Fulton Street Farmers Market (2012) (Rhoads)
- Rachel Hawks, Women at Risk International (WAR) (2012) (Rhoads)
- Nicole Schwab, Zumberge Library Collections Management (2012) (Rhoads)
- Dani Negus, Hispanic Center of Western Michigan (2012) (Rhoads)
- Sarah McCormick and Alyssa Hoff, Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum in Muskegon (2011) (Rhoads and Schwartz)
- Amy Akers, Kent County Health Department (KCHP) (2011) (Molla)
- Melinda Miller, MapleCreek Cemetery in Grand Rapids (2011) (Madden)
- Mara Deckinga, Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum (2011) (Schwartz)
- Lori Hotary, Faurecia Automotive-Shanghai, China (2011) (Rhoads)
- Claire Kosanke, Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment Water Bureau (2010) (Molla)
- Brittany Bradshaw, Keweenaw National Historic Park (2010) (Brashler)
- Jesse Sieminski, Fulton Street Farmers Market (2010) (Rhoads)
- Steven Iveson, Center for Inquiry, Michigan (2009) (Rhoads)
- Jessica Chadwick, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2009) (Schwartz)
- Melanie Coughlin, Muskegon County Museum (2009) (Schwartz)
- Kristina Venlet, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2009) (Schwartz)
- Alexandra Van Pelt, Fulton Street Farmers Market (2009) (Rhoads)
- Alexander Atkin, Fulton Street Farmers Market (2009) (Rhoads)
- Jordan Karsten, Shannon Larsen, and Steve Do (2009) (Madden)
- Anne Leightner, Whitney Smith, and Laurie Seeberg (2009) (Van Wormer)
- Katherine Hardcastle, Walker Travern, (2007) (Brashler)
- Carl Sjostrand, Archaeological Work for the Student Conservation Association
- Gregory Johnson , Archaeological Work for the Student Conservation Association
- Jessica Eason, Grand Rapids Public museum working on a "moth eradication" project - for clothes the ethnographic and historical clothing & textile collection.
- Ashley Stillwell, Grand Rapids Public Museum (2009) (Schwartz) worked on NAGPRA issues