Graduate Nondegree-Seeking Student Application Procedure

  • Applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree and are not enrolled in a graduate program can take classes at Grand Valley as a nondegree seeking student. Information about course offerings can be found in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog.
  • Students should complete the nondegree-seeking graduate application:
    • For personal development without completing a graduate degree nor receiving a graduate certificate.
    • For completion of prerequisites required for admission to their chosen graduate program.
  • Nondegree-seeking students are not eligible for federal or state financial assistance.
  • A maximum of 6 to 12 credit hours taken as nondegree may be applied to a graduate degree, depending on the program of interest.  Refer to the Grand Valley State University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog for specific requirements.
  • All graduate education students seeking a degree, endorsement, approval, licensure or certificate change must be formally admitted to graduate study by applying for “degree-seeking” graduate admission.


Changing Status from Non-degree to Degree Seeking
To seek a change in degree-seeking status:

  1. Submit a degree-seeking application form to the Admissions and Recruitment Office
  2. Submit all additional required admission materials

Page last modified December 19, 2023