Interprofessional Health Informatics Certificate
Optimal use of health information technology (HIT) is a priority for the transformation of healthcare. As healthcare systems across the nation implemented HIT in inpatient settings over the past decade, emerging HIT fields now extend beyond acute care to include population health informatics, data analytics, and telemedicine. This certificate is theory-based with an emphasis on practical application by clinicians, information technology professionals, and public health administration professionals. GVSU students interested in gaining knowledge and skills in health care informatics also will benefit from the coursework.
WHY GRAND VALLEY?
- The hybrid format is ideal for working adults through online coursework and high-impact in-seat classes in downtown Grand Rapids.
- Highly qualified faculty are invested in student success and relevant coursework.
- Grand Valley is highly respected by employers across the region.
BENEFITS FOR PROFESSIONALS & ORGANIZATIONS
- Prepares experienced collaborators who anticipate risks and advocate for integrated and cost-effective approaches to care.
- Develops proficient experts who identify gaps and fragmentation in care and address needs individually or as defined for specific patient populations.
- Cultivates confident leaders who positively impact quality, cost and patient health outcomes.
This 9 credit graduate interprofessional certificate is designed to prepare individuals interested in gaining comprehensive knowledge and skills in the design, utilization, evaluation, and clinical processes of health informatics. The certificate can be completed in two to four semesters and provides a unique opportunity to pursue a theoretically based and practically oriented education to effectively meet the contemporary needs of health organizations and society.
- Completed bachelor’s degree in a health profession, health administration, or computing information sciences field. Individuals with no healthcare experience will need a pre-requisite introduction to healthcare course.
- Completed online application with an educational and professional goal statement
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Applications accepted throughout the year for fall cohort start. The $30 nonrefundable application fee is waived if the applicant has previously applied to Grand Valley State University. Please visit gvsu.edu/gradapply/.
Pre-Requisite Courses (Applicants without healthcare experience as defined by the Admission Requirements):
PA 630 - Health Administration and Service - 3 Credits
Requirements Course (All applicants - select one):
CIS 661 - Introduction to Health and Bioinformatics - 3 Credits
CIS 665 - Clinical Information Systems - 3 Credits
NUR 703 - Health Care Informatics - 3 Credits
Elective Courses (All applicants - select two):
CIS 635 - Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining - 3 Credits
CIS 660 - Information Management and Science - 3 Credits
NUR 705 - Healthcare Decision Support - 3 Credits
PA 646 - Managerial Epidemiology for Health Administrators - 3 Credits