Assessment Process - Beginning Winter 2024
Assessment Plan Templates, Winter 2024
- Please select the Assessment Plan Template needed for your program, either Academic Program or Co-Curricular and Service Program. Download the appropriate template and complete the form, saving it as a .doc or .docx document.
- Academic programs will include a curriculum map for each major and for each stand alone certificate or badge offered by their program. Please save this document as a .pdf, .xls, or .xlsx file.
- STAND ALONE means that students do not automatically attain the certificate or badge by completing a major. Instead, students complete a different set of courses that allow them to earn the certificate or badge.
- Complete the Assessment Plan Form, below, which has space at the end to upload a template and a curriculum map (Academic programs). A new form will be created for each major (include emphases on the same form as the major) and for each stand alone certificate and stand alone badge.
- The Assessment Plan Form opens on 2/26/2024 and will remain available through 9/15/2024.
**Contents in the section below this box are being updated as GVAssess undergoes revision.
Assessment is an ongoing process. This page describes the assessment timeline expectations for academic programs, advising centers, and co-curricular units at GVSU.
- Annually: Units post regular (at least annual) updates on their assessment activities. Annual updates are due by May 20 for academic programs and by September 1 for advising centers and co-curricular programs.
- Two-year cycle: UAC reviews the academic programs, advising centers, and co-curricular unit assessments on a two-year rotation. Deadlines for any final updates for reviews are posted in GVAdvance under the Deadlines menu.
Periodic Self Study: All units engage in a periodic self study as part of the transition from one strategic planning cycle to the next. GVSU's next self study period is planned for 2020-2021. Self study prompts can be viewed in GVAdvance by selecting "Assemble Self Study Reporting" in the GVReview area of the site.
Annual assessment updates
- Student outcomes assessment (GVAssess): Units normally focus on assessing a small number of student outcomes for each program in a given year (see assessment guidelines). As assessment data are collected and analyzed, units add reporting for the corresponding measures in GVAssess. Data reporting can be added at any time, but all units are asked to update their assessment results in GVAssess at least annually by May 20.
- Strategic plan updates (GVPlan): Strategic plan updates are due by Feb. 1 every year. This is accomplished by adding data reporting for all active strategic plan objectives.
The following video presentation contains additional details about ongoing assessment activities as GVSU.
Two-year quarterly review cycle
UAC reviews the assessment activities in both GVAssess and GVPlan according to the quarterly review cycle (webpage | pdf). The review cycle beginning Fall 2025 will be posted in early Fall 2024.
This process ensures UAC reviews and provides feedback on all units' assessment activities at least once every two years.
- Unit heads and assessment leads receive notifications for upcoming reviews within GVAdvance.
- GVAdvance users with the Group Admin tag (typically unit heads) are expected to manage the list of assessment leads for their unit via the Admin Menu area of GVAdvance (bottom of the main window).
Preparing for review
Prior to the review deadline, units should ensure that:
- The assessment plan is up-to-date in GVAssess, and data reporting has been entered for outcomes assessed in last two years. See the Reporting Expectations page for details.
- Strategic plan reporting has been updated in GVPlan by Feb. 1 for the previous calendar year. This means adding a new reporting entry to every active objective in GVPlan. "Active objectives" are those for which the "Time Frame End" date has not yet elapsed.