How to Construct an SWS Course Syllabus
Before creating an SWS course syllabus, carefully review the Requirements for SWS Courses.
Each course syllabus for an SWS course must
- Include an objective related to writing skills in the course’s student learning objectives.
- Include the required SWS paragraph.
- Include a paragraph (or two) that describes
- how writing instruction will be taught during at least 4 class hours,
- which types of texts will be taught in the course (e.g., lab report, literary analysis, literature review, case study),
- what opportunities will be provided for revision, and
- what type and frequency of feedback students will receive from the instructor and in peer review workshops.
- NOTE: This brief paragraph (or two) could be included immediately following the standard SWS paragraph as a course specific elaboration.
- List and describe each of the major writing assignments.
- Provide the word count for each of the major writing assignments.
- Provide the course grade percentages for each of the major writing assignments.
- Include a section in the syllabus regarding the GVSU Writing Center. See this syllabus blurb prepared by the writing center.