Power of Attorney

As a courtesy, Grand Valley State University can offer a Power of Attorney form for your use. The decision to sign a Power of Attorney form should not be taken lightly. It is important for you to understand that by signing this form, you will be giving legal rights and responsibilities to another person to manage and control your affairs. 

A Power of Attorney is a legally-binding document recognized in the United States that gives a person of your choosing the power to make financial and other decisions on your behalf and is effective while you are out of the country. This may include handling bank transactions, arranging for funds to be deposited to your account or sent to you abroad, handling the payment of bills, and also making arrangements for your financial aid check.

There are other forms of the Power of Attorney that are more specific as to their authority and more limited in nature. Grand Valley State University does not make a recommendation or offer legal advice as to whether you should or should not sign a Power of Attorney of any form. If you have questions about the legal ramifications of signing such a form, you should contact an attorney of your choosing.

If you choose to sign the Power of Attorney, we recommend that at a minimum you leave a copy in your file with the Padnos International Center, that you leave the original and a copy with the person you have given the Power of Attorney to, and that you keep a copy with your personal papers.

Vicki Wenger, the receptionist at the Padnos International Center is a Notary Public and can notarize documents free of charge. Forms are available in the office located in 130 LOH.

Page last modified May 30, 2014