Partnership Course Approval Process

This guide is for students participating in a GVSU Partnership Program. 

Step 1: Research Courses Offered at the Host University

For GVSU Partnership Programs:

Research courses offered at the host university you've selected. Some courses are only available to local students. Therefore, it is important to review courses that are open to study abroad students. 

To access each university's course hand book: Program Search > Type in the name of the partnership university you will be attending > Click on the "Additional Information" link under the university name > Scroll down to "Academic Program and Courses"

Step 2: Review Existing Course Equivalencies

For GVSU Partnership Programs:

Some courses have already been approved to transfer back to GVSU a certain way. To view these courses, see Pre-approved Course Equivalencies.

  • If there is an existing course equivalency for the course you wish to take abroad, simply indicate the course you plan to take abroad on the Departmental Course Approval Form and turn it in to the Padnos International Center. No signature required.

Step 3: Request a Course Equivalency

If the course you would like to take abroad has not already been approved, you will need to request a course equivalency from a relevant GVSU department to determine how the course would transfer back to GVSU.

To request  a course equivalency, you must contact the appropriate department contact (see below) by sending them an email (see Sample Email) or meeting with them in-person to fill out the Departmental Course Approval Form together. For more information, review the Course Approval Step-by-Step Instructions

STEP 4: Send Forms to Padnos International Center

Send via email or paper copy

Step 5: Fulfill General Education Credits (Optional)

Courses taken abroad can be used to fulfill General Education requirements including Issues, Foundations & Cultures and Supplemental Writing Skills.

Page last modified December 15, 2017