Purchasing Your Flight
PLEASE NOTE: Padnos International Center does not endorse any specific airfare provider; however, the following are popular search engines:
Step 1: Research plane tickets through different airfare providers
STA Travel (Your airfare is guaranteed with a $300 non-refundable deposit!)
*STA Travel also offers discount airfares for holders of the ISIC cards
Students can also visit the website of individual airlines such as Delta, United, etc.
Step 2: Receive official acceptance from OASIS and your host institution/program sponsor.
DO NOT purchase a ticket until you have been officially accepted through the OASIS system AND through your host institution or program sponsor. You will be contacted by your host institution or program sponsor once you are accepted by them. It is important to understand that being accepted in OASIS does not mean you have received official acceptance into your program.
Step 3: Buy a ticket!
Once you have received your final approval from GVSU and your host institution or program sponsor, purchase your ticket.
Tips for Purchasing Airplane Tickets
- The Sooner the Better - The sooner you purchase your ticket, the better!
- Wait for Acceptance - Do not purchase your ticket until you are accepted to BOTH GVSU and your provider/host university.
- Check Luggage Costs - Most airlines will let you check 2 suitcases with no charge on an international flight but this number varies and sometimes costs can be as much as $150 or more for extra items. Check with the airline provider you will be flying with for updated information.
- Consider Where and How Long Your Layovers Are - Flights vary with the numbers of length of layovers. If you are comfortable with longer layovers or with layovers in different countries flights may be cheaper.
- Reserve the Best Seat - If you have seating preferences, it is best to make the request when you buy your ticket. The earlier you make your request, the more likely you will get a seat that accommodates your interest.
- Check restrictions on change fee - If you're unsure of the date you want to return due to your interest in traveling at the end of your program, we recommend you look at the airline policy to change your date of return. Change fees can range from $100-$300.
- If you have special dietary needs - You will have to reserve a special meal well in advance. Contact your airline provider for details on requesting a special meal.
Tips for Air Travel
Tips on Airlines for Travel While Abroad
Tips for Getting Through the Airport Faster