The department of statistics through the SCC supports survey based research by maintaining a GOLD SurveyMonkey (Enhanced security (SSL)) account. All survey data are stored on a password protected "Ldrive" and staff with access to the account are required to sign a confidentiality consent form [CCF]. The protocol for supporting survey-based research is as follows:
Client to contact the statistical consulting center by completing the form at this link:REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE
Client to meet with SCC staff to go over draft survey instrument.
Client to provide a revised set of questions electronically to enable copying/pasting into the web browser.
Client to specify/explain any special skip logic between questions/pages in the survey instrument.
SCC staff help setup/design survey online using SurveyMonkey and provide the link to client for review and recommend corrections as appropriate.
SCC staff provide the live SurveyMonkey link to client for distribution to their target sample/population OR client provides emails of target population to be surveyed to the scc staff for survey distribution.
SCC staff provide the SurveyMonkey link to client to download the survey results when data collection period expires.
SCC staff offer client the option of assisting with data analysis.
- To determine the desired sample size~GPower3
- Please indicate on your IRB application protocol that you intend to use the SCC as outlined above. A quick read~HRRC Guide
- If your research project involves the GVSU population~GVSU Popn for additional information.
- The best way to write good survey questions is to pilot test and re-write. An article appearing in the International Journal of Market Research gives great advice about questionnaire design. A summary of 10 things to look out for are outlined in this YouTube video: Survey Design Video.
- Power and Sample Size Calculations