Saturday, February 11, 2023
Schedule for Saturday
Watch this page for updates!
“Reaching For Your Own Stars: A Recipe To Succeed In Life” presented by guest speaker Astronaut José Hernández (ret.) (11:00 a.m. - Free with museum admission. Find more information at grpm.org)
10:00am to 5:00pm
- Learn from student-submitted projects designing solutions for the future of space exploration.
- Watch a planetarium show including an introductory history of Roger B. Chaffee and featured presentations highlighting space exploration
- See museum artifacts related to space, space travel, and Roger B. Chaffee.
- Enjoy many other family-friendly activities related to space, including (subject to change):
- Golden Record Activity - Introduction created by planetarium about Voyager two - one staff and one vol. Guests can learn more about the Voyager mission to attempt communications with possible life forms in space and determine what information would be important for you to share with an alien lifeform.
- Build Stations - Guests can make their own rockets and paper airplanes
- Underwater ROV with Mark Gleason - Guests will use pvc pipes, foam noodles, and small submersible motors to create their own underwater ROV that they can test in a tank full of water. Learn about underwater discovery and the important role that Remote Operated Vehicles play in underwater exploration.
- Kent District Library will host a table with STEM related activities.
- Roger Chaffee and space related artifacts from the Museum’s Collection
- The Grand Rapids Children’s Museum will feature a special activity.
- GVSU Padnos College of Engineering will have a variety of things to do.
- Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Association will have telescopes for guests to look at the daytime sky as well as planispheres to make and take.
- Lunar Lakers Team - GVSU Engineering Team
- GVSU Physics Department showcase - students from the physics department will do hands on activities