February 23 - February 29, 2020
"We increasingly miss out on the important moments of our lives as we pass the hours with our noses buried in our devices." They said it so well. The National Day of Unplugging is March 6, 2020, so RecWell invites you to UNPLUG. What do we mean?!
- Americans spend an average of 7 hours on technology daily.
- A good balance of time spent on and off technology is beneficial to both physical and mental health.
- “Unplugged” likely means something different for everyone, whether it’s not using your phone while you’re with others, avoiding email during dinner, or spending less time on social media.
- Exercise can improve sleep, decrease feelings of depression, help protect against feelings of anxiety, boost self-confidence, and improve focus and productivity.
- Disconnect from technology and connect with us in person!
With something for everyone, Recreation & Wellness offers multiple opportunities to do so. Become more mindful of your time and better balance it with exercising, having meaningful conversations, spending time outdoors, playing sports, or anything else that enhances your overall health and wellbeing. Use those extra "unplugged" hours each day doing something good for you, and just enjoy the world and people around you! Whatever you take away, we hope that you get involved, be active, and live healthy.
Sun, Feb 23
We understand that there's great value in unplugging longer than just this week. That's why we hope this concept becomes top-of-mind past this campaign. There's so many things happening around us - and especially on this campus. There are plenty more Recreation & Wellness events this semester, and the campus-wide events calendar is another great place to start!
Save these cards and share them on your social accounts to let others know you're taking a break!
Learn the Facts
We know there are pros; we know there are cons. Everyone's talking about it. So, we did some research and pulled together some data, articles, and facts so you can learn more about it.
- The Happiness Lab: Mistakenly Seeking Solitude
- Want to feel happier today? Try talking to a stranger
- Why Excessive Consumption Limits Your Creativity
- 5 Scientifically Proven Benefits to Unplugging
- 7 Important Reasons to Unplug and Find Space
- The Health Benefits of Unplugging
- 5 Reasons to Unplug from Technology after Work
- The Innovation of Loneliness
Find something you'd like to share with us? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org!
Share your Story
How do you UNPLUG?
We want to hear from you!
- Did you participate in any of our programs or events over the last 2 weeks?
- Did you learn anything new about Recreation & Wellness?
- How has spending less time on social media or with technology helped you?
- Have you done anything else recently to unplug?
Why do you RecWell?
Or, maybe you participate with us year-round. If you haven't already told us why you participate in RecWell programs, services, or events, we'd love to hear from you! Share your story to help encourage and motivate others to keep moving.
Let us know how RecWell has made an impact on you!
This wouldn't be a marketing campaign without all the goodies, would it? But, more than that - a good balance of time spent on and off technology is beneficial. While we know you don't need incentives to do what's best for your physical and mental health, it doesn't hurt! Tell us why you unplug to be entered into a drawing for free swag. It'll be a surprise though. T-shirt? Water bottle? Gift cards? You won't know until you win.
"You cannot pour water from an empty cup. I unplug to check in with myself, and leave spaces..."
"I unplug by turning off my phone and computer to let myself go outside and enjoy our natural spaces...."
"I unplug on the weekends to be more present and enjoy my time off and spend it with friends, family, and..."
"Technology and "social" media are making us less social. If you look up while you're walking on the..."
"I have found that social media had almost taken over my life. I was missing so many fun and..."
"I unplug to better focus on my school work, as I am able to better focus and get homework and..."
Partner with Us!
If you're interested in partnering on this campaign, please complete this form. Partnership includes:
- Any activities, events, or programs taking place for your organization will be featured on the campaign website
- Your organization will help promote the campaign and engage with your audiences via various outlets (social media, website, events calendars, etc)