Fitness & Wellness Internships
Fitness & Wellness Center Internship is NOW available.
Fitness & Wellness Center Internship
Campus Recreation offers many programs and services that are fitness and wellness related. This is a great entry level opportunity to get applicable clinical skills if you are considering a career in exercise science. Training is provided along with many professional development opportunities.
Requirements for application
- Students must have completed the following coursework:
- MOV 304 physiology of activity
- MOV 300 Kinesiology
- MOV 320 Exercise testing
- MOV 321 Lab
- Student must be enrolled in MOV 490 during the time of the internship
- Working towards a BS in Movement Science
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Fulfill health requirements
- Provide proof of current CPR and First Aid certification
Applicants should be familiar with ACSM guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. Students must also have excellent computer skills including proficiency in all Microsoft applications. Qualified candidates will also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Internship description and responsibilities
The Fitness and Wellness Center will offer 2 internship opportunities each semester. Hours will be dependent on the internship requirements. Selected interns must be available for four weeks prior to the established semester for paid training.
Employment opportunities may be available for qualified students upon successful completion of the internship.
The student will conduct appointments for the UFit Plan including client intakes, fitness testing, exercise programming, equipment orientations, and follow up meetings. In addition to meeting with clients:
- Assist with scheduling clients and customer service
- Assist with client file management
- Assist with management of computerized files, data entry, analysis, and reports
- Develop forms and educational materials
- Assist with student employee training and supervision
- Participate in professional development
- Assist with on-campus outreach programming
- Assuring safety of the client
- Identifying client risks
- Assisting with health screenings
- Potential group instruction
- Assist with various special programs and events
- Cover Letter
- 3 References including one academic contact
Submit the requirements above to the following address:
Amy Campbell, Assistant Director, Campus Recreation
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401