LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward.
Scholarships and Assistantships
The Department of Physical Therapy is generally awarded 5-7 half-time assistantships each year by the Graduate School. The Department typically splits its allotment to offer 10-14 quarter-time assistantships for both the fall and winter terms. The number of assistantships is evaluated annually by the university and is subject to change.
Graduate assistants work directly with a faculty or staff member within the College of Health Professions performing a wide range of duties as assigned. Although schedules will vary, our GA's are required to work 10 hrs/week.
For the most recent academic year half-time GA's earned a biweekly stipend totaling $2000 per semester. In addition, they received a tuition waiver for up to 4.5 graduate credits per semester, unless they were eligible for reimbursement of tuition from another source. Information on the availability and application requirements for Graduate Assistantships will be posted/distributed as it becomes available. For more information, visit GVSU Graduate School.
Below is a short list of scholarships from previous GVSU students:
- AMBUCS Scholarship for Therapists
- American Indian Graduate Center Graduate Fellowships
- Bailey Family Fund Healthcare Scholarships
- Benjamin and Cherie Gubin Scholarship
- Japanese American Citizens League Scholarships
- Kalamazoo Community Foundation
- Lenawee County Education Foundation Scholarship
- Mary Free Bed Minority Scholarship
- National Society Daughters of the American Revolution Occupational/Physical Therapy Scholarships
- Port Huron Scholarship
- U.S. Department of Education Rehabilitation Services Administration Division of Resource Development
There are many scholarship opportunities for students and some may have deadlines as early as October 1st for the following year, so it is important to begin your search as early as possible. To learn about scholarships visit, GVSU Scholarship.
GVSU Physical Therapy Funds and Scholarships
- David Daniels Memorial Scholarship Endowment - Benefits a senior-level physical therapy student
- Physical Therapy Urban Schools Endowed Scholarship - This fund assists students from urban schools enrolled in the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
- Rev. Darrell and Joyce Black Doctor of Physical Therapy Scholarship - Provides assistance to students preparing for careers in physical therapy.
- Volkhardt Family Scholarship - Provides assistance to future nurses and physical therapists who demonstrate financial need.
- Wisner Doctor of Physical Therapy Scholarship - Benefits graduate students preparing to become physical therapists.
- Ruth M. Perry Doctor of Physical Therapy Scholarship - Benefits graduate students preparing to become physical therapists.