Dr. Brett Bolen
Associate Professor of Physics
159 Padnos Hall of Science
Department of Physics
- Ph.D. University of Mississippi, Oxford MS (2003)
- M.S. University of Mississippi, Oxford MS (1996)
- B.S. University of Evansville, Evansville IN (1993)
- Associate Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, Aug. 2014 - Present.
- Assistant Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, 2009 - 2014.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics, Western Kentucky University, 2005 - 2009 .
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics, University of Mississippi, Spring 2004 - Spring 2005.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics, Rhodes College, Fall 2003.
Courses taught at GVSU (2009 - Present):
- PHY 220/221 - General Physics I & II
- PHY 230/231 - Principles of Physics I & II.
- PHY 303 - World After Einstein
- PHY 307 - Light and Sound
- PHY 330 - Classical Mechanics
- PHY 350 - Quantum Mechanics
- PHY 430 - Advanced Mechanics
- PHY 440 - Advanced Electricity & Magnetism
- PHY 475 - General Relativity
My research is in both classical and quantum aspects of Einstein's theory of gravity known as general relativity. I am especially interested in
- Black Hole Thermodynamics
- Loop Quantum Gravity
- The generalized uncertainly principle
- The effect of minimum length on quantum mechanical systems
Research with Undergraduates
Supervised Student Research (2006 - Present):
- Bill Richardon - Exploring the Equation of State for Multicomponent Universes (2011).
- Scott Bleiler - Comparison of the Effects of Global Expansion and Gravitational Radiation on Orbiting Bodies (2010).
- Scott Bleiler and Wyatt Brege - Effects of Minimal Length on Quantum Mechanical Scattering (2010)
- Jason Musser,WKU Senior Math Thesis - Effects of generalized uncertainty principle on quantum tunneling. (2008)
- Cassidy Wix, WKU Senior Math Thesis - Studies in physics of Lorentzian Geometry. (2007)
- Jason Carson, WKU - Effective Cosmological Constant for a Extra Dimensional FRW Gauss-Bonnet Cosmology. (2007)
- Lisa Taylor, WKU - Studies of the Void probability function for Galaxy formation using the GADGET code. (2007)
- Sarah McMurrey, WKU - Simulation of Galactic Clustering due to Dark Matter using the GADGET code. (2006)
- Charles Poteet - WKU Senior Math Thesis - Derivation and Use of the Geodesic Equation in Physics. (2006)
- Keith Andrew, Brett Bolen, and Chad A. Middleton, SOLUTIONS OF HIGHER DIMENSIONAL GAUSS-BONNET FRW COSMOLOGY, Gen.Rel.Grav. 39:2061-2071,2007 [arXiv:0708.0373]
- Keith Andrew, Brett Bolen, and Chad A. Middleton, EFFECTS OF DYNAMICAL COMPACTIFICATION ON D-DIMENSIONAL GAUSS-BONNET FRW COSMOLOGY [hep-th/0608127]
- Brett Bolen, Marco Cavaglia, (ANTI-)DE SITTER BLACK HOLE THERMODYNAMICS AND THE GENERALIZED UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE, Gen.Rel.Grav. 37 (2005) 1255-1262 [gr-qc/0411086]
- Brett Bolen, Luca Bombelli, Alejandro Corichi, MINISUPERSPACES: COHERENT AND SEMICLASSICAL STATES I , Class. Quant. Grav. 21 (2004) 4087-4106 [gr-qc- 0404004]
- Brett Bolen, Luca Bombelli, Raymond Puzio, EXPANSION INDUCED CONTRIBUTION TO THE PRECESSION OF BINARY ORBITS. Class. Quant. Grav.18:1173-1178,2001. [gr-qc-0009018]
- Member of American Physical Society.