Override Help


Registration Override Requests

All Registration Override Requests should be submitted online through myBanner.

You need to know:

  1. Banner permits will be prioritized according to semester.  Spring requests will be reviewed first, then Fall and finally Winter.
  2. The earlier you put in the override request, the more likely you are to receive it, however, closed class permits are rarely issued for online or FIT classes.
  3. Submitting a request does not guarantee a space in the course.
  4. The department will review all requests submitted by the payment deadline. Any received after the deadline will be reviewed as time and space allow.
  5. When a decision is made an email will be sent to your GVSU email.
  6. If your request is approved, it is your responsibility to register within 48 hours of receiving this email. If your request was denied and you would like to contact the department, please send an email to [email protected]
  7. All requests for ATH/EXS/MOV/HPE/SPM 399 and 499 – Independent Study Applications require a faculty member and unit head approval.

Registration override requests should NOT be submitted for the following registration errors:

  • Repeat Count Exceeds 0
  • Linked Course Required
  • Time Conflict with (CRN)
  • Maximum Hours Exceeded

Registration Errors and Holds


Payment Deadlines:

  • Spring/Summer 2021:           April 30 by 5:00 p.m.
  • Fall 2021:                                August 20 by 5:00 pm
  • Winter 2022:                           December 17th by 5:00 p.m.                             

Drop/Add Deadlines:

The end of the first week of each semester is the established Drop/Add period. During this time, students may drop and/or add classes provided there are openings and the prerequisite requirements have been met. This is considered an EXCEPTION to the registration policies and requires several levels of support. Please note: ANY addition to a student schedule after the published deadline is considered a LATE ADD, and will include an additional fee. This includes requests to change from one section to another of the same course.

CLAS Add/Drop Policy

Prerequisite Course Transfers

If you have taken or are taking the prerequisite course at another institution: 

  • You will need to send proof of completion/registration for that course to [email protected] before the override can be processed.
  • A screenshot of an unofficial transcript is fine as long as is has the name of the student, the institution, the course name/number, and either the grade received or when the course was offered.
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that the course you plan to take transfers for the appropriate GVSU course. You must send an official transcript to the registrar as soon as the grade is earned.

GVSU Course Equivalency Guide

Page last modified August 11, 2022