Frequently Asked Questions
What has been done in FIT Classes for COVID-19 mitigation?
Following the university guidelines here are steps taken to address COVID-19 concerns:
- Follow Rec Center and university policies regarding face coverings.
- Provide hand sanitizer when arriving and departing from class.
- Reduce number of people in classrooms when face to face to maintain a 10 foot distance between students when exercising.
- Relocate class to a larger space to maintain a 10 foot distance between students when exercising.
- Hold classes outside when appropriate.
What do I do if I test positive for COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive?
- Follow the advice of your medical provider.
- Make sure to complete the GVSU self-assessment.
- Communicate with your professor to stay connected for alternative assignments.
I have to quarantine or isolate because of COVID-19 can I still get credit form my FIT class?
You need to initiate communication with your professor and request alternative assignments due to COVID. Completing the assignments for this accommodation will allow you to still earn credit. Each FIT class is different and each COVID-19 situation can vary so work together with your professor to address your situation and stay connected.
Please stay updated on all GVSU COVID-19 Information: https://www.gvsu.edu/lakerstogether/
What do I do if I get injured?
If you get injured during a class and it is not severe, please tell your instructor right away and discuss the following options which are:
- Students may go the Injury Care Clinic for a free evaluation. Click the link for more information http://www.gvsu.edu/icc/
- Students may go to the Campus Health Center. Click on the link for more information http://www.gvsu.edu/campushealth/
- Student may go to their own health care provider.
- If the injury renders you unable to transport yourself, we will phone the GVSU Public Safety for on-site assistance.
- An incident/accident report will be completed by GVSU faculty if your injury took place during class.
If I have an injury/disability can I enroll in a FIT class?
If you are unable to complete or are concerned about registering for a course because of your abilities or disabilities or an injury, we will do everything we can to accommodate your individual situation. Please contact the FIT Program Coordinator, Karol Tiemersma, for guidance: firstname.lastname@example.org or 331-8890.
Do I need a textbook or specific equipment?
Each FIT Course varies regarding textbooks and equipment. This information will be listed on the course syllabus provided by your instructor.
How do I know if I have a concussion?
If you suspect that you have a concussion and it happened during class, please tell your instructor. Your instructor will then walk you through the proper steps to facilitate your assistance and safety. If you think you have a concussion from the result of something that happened outside of class, inform you instructor and seek appropriate medical care. See the options for care on campus in the question, “What do I do if I get injured?”
For more information on concussions, here is a link to the CDC information: http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/
Can I make it to my next class in 10 minutes after a FIT class?
That all depends…
- If you are at an off campus location for class, you will have to check the travel time back to campus and parking options.
- If you are leaving a swimming class and need to change you will need to take the time of transition into account.
- If you are at the boathouse or driving range, you will have a tight transition and should do a practice trip.
- If you do not mind going to class a bit sweaty for other classes, you should be able to make it to another classes like another class.
Why is there a course fee?
As a department, we try to limit the extra costs of course fees. However, there are times when the cost of the course includes equipment or facility rental or certification costs that are not covered by student tuition. Specific course fees may be found when registering for the course.
If you have any other questions not addressed here, please contact the FIT Program Coordinator, Karol Tiemersma, for more information: email@example.com or 331-8890.