Big Splash Week - Thursday, September 19, 2019
Peter Annin author of Great Lakes Water Wars
Great Lakes Water Tension in the 21st Century
This presentation delves into the long history of political maneuvers and water diversion schemes that have proposed sending Great Lakes water everywhere from Akron to Arizona. Through the prism of the past, this talk analyzes the future of Great Lakes water diversion controversies, which include everything from the expansive Foxconn plant in Southeast Wisconsin, to the massive and heavily litigated Great Lakes diversion in Chicago which is more than a century old and sends 2.1 billion gallons of Lake Michigan water to the Gulf of Mexico every day.
Schedule of Event
Allendale Campus Grand River Room, Kirkhof Center
- 10:00 - 11:15 am Allendale Campus, HON148. Students will have an open forum to discuss and ask question about Peter Annin's book "Great Lakes Water Wars"
- 12:00-1:00 Niemeyer Multipurpose Room. Free Pizza and career conversation with Peter Annin. Open to all students
- 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. GVSU Water Research Showcase highlighting student and faculty posters with light refreshments
- 7:00 - 7:05 p.m. Welcome and opening remarks
- 7:05 - 8:00 p.m. Keynote Presentation by Peter Annin "Great Lakes Water Tension in the 21st Century"
- 8:00 - 9:00 p.m. GVSU Water Research Showcase highlighting student and faculty posters with light refreshments
- 9:00 - 11:00 - Live Music by the Pond