LAKERS TOGETHER: Find out how we're moving forward. Learn about campus safety measures including testing, face coverings and vaccines.
Access and Reading Room Use
- Researchers must sign in at the registration desk and request materials to be used in the Reading Room.
- Materials in the Special Collections & University Archives do not circulate and may not be removed from the Reading Room without permission.
- Smoking is prohibited in the building as well as in the Reading Room.
- Food, beverages, or other foodstuffs and consumables are likewise prohibited.
- Notes must be taken in pencil, or on laptop or personal device. No ballpoint, fountain, or felt-tipped pens may be used.
- Handle materials with care. Researchers may not mark or write upon any items, nor place paper on which they are writing on any of the materials being consulted. At the staff’s discretion, the researcher may be requested to wear cotton gloves before using any materials.
- Books must be kept flat on the table during use and their pages carefully turned. Book weights may be requested to help hold pages open.
- The exact order and arrangement of the materials must be preserved. If any mistake in arrangement or any damage is discovered, please advise staff.
- The photocopying or digital scanning of a reasonable amount of materials is allowed, subject to restrictions regarding copyright, fragility of the items, or those imposed by the donor. Photocopies or scans thus supplied may not be duplicated or deposited elsewhere without prior written authorization of the staff. Request for photocopies are made to the staff. See Copies and Scans
- The researcher is cautioned that the Special Collections & University Archives is not normally the owner of copyrights to books, papers, and manuscripts deposited therein. The researcher is responsible for securing permission to quote and publish from the original writer/creator, or his/her heirs. As a condition for use, the researcher assumes full responsibility for any infringement of literary, copyright, or publications rights belonging to the author, her/his heirs, or assigns. See Citations and Copyright
- By signing the Application for Use of Material form provided as a sign-in sheet and materials order form, the user acknowledges his/her acceptance of the above regulations.