Water-reactive Materials

What are water reactive materials?

Water reactive substances are dangerous when wet because they undergo a chemical reaction with water. This reaction may release a gas that is either flammable or presents a toxic health hazard. In addition, the heat generated when water contacts such materials is often enough for the item to spontaneously combustor explode.

How should I handle water reactive materials?

  • Always wear safety goggles, gloves, lab coat and closed toe shoes
  • Use a fume hood if there is a possibility of gases forming in the reaction
  • Store in a cool dry area away from other chemicals
  • Wash hands and work station after use

Page last modified March 4, 2015