Graduate School FAQs

Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions by graduate students. If you have any other questions that are not answered below, please refer to the Graduate Student Guidebook, or contact The Graduate School.

Degrees, Courses, Studies


May I take graduate courses at GVSU before I apply for admission to a specific degree program?

Yes, students with a baccalaureate degree who are not seeking admission to a specific degree program or have not completed all of the admission requirements for their desired program may be granted non-degree-seeking status.


How many graduate credit hours can I earn as a non-degree-seeking student?

A maximum of 6 to 12 semester credits may be earned at GVSU as a non-degree-seeking student, depending on the student's degree program. Some programs have more restrictive guidelines so students should check specific program descriptions for details.



How many graduate credits can I transfer to a graduate program at GVSU?

Students can transfer up to 9 graduate credits from institutions with appropriate regional accreditation to a 33 credit graduate degree program at GVSU. If the program is longer than 33 credit hours, students may transfer up to 30% of the degree program from institutions with appropriate regional accreditation. Students must complete a minimum of 24 credits toward their graduate program at GVSU to earn their degree from Grand Valley.

Does GVSU offer graduate courses off-campus?

Yes, graduate courses in specific programs are offered at our Holland, Traverse City, and Muskegon campus sites for cohort groups. Additionally, online courses and hybrid programs are currently being offered through many of our graduate programs.

What is considered full-time study? What is part-time?

Full-time study is considered 9 or more credits. Part-time study is considered 6 credits or less.

How long do I have to complete my degree? Can I transfer previous graduate credits towards my degree program?

All courses for any graduate degree program at Grand Valley must be completed within 8 years from the date of the first course counted towards the degree.

Students who transfer previous graduate coursework are advised that the 8-year limit starts with the date of the oldest course(s) counted toward the graduate program degree total. For specific time limit information, please refer to the Time Limit Calendar on the Graduate School website.



If I graduated from GVSU as an undergrad, do I have to submit an official transcript? Do I have to pay the application fee?

Students who graduated from GVSU do NOT have to provide an official transcript for admission. Furthermore, those who previously applied to GVSU do NOT have to resubmit the application fee.



Can I apply online?

Yes, prospective students may apply online. New users must create a profile.

Financial Assistance


What forms of financial assistance or campus employment are available?

There are several forms of financial assistance at GVSU, including Financial Aid, Graduate Assistantships, Student Employment, Scholarships and Fellowships. See all the Financial Assistance Resources.


What forms of campus employment are available?

There are several options and resources for campus student employment. To find out details, visit the Student Employment page


As a non-degree seeking student, am I eligible for financial aid?

No. Currently only degree-seeking students are eligible for financial aid.


As a part-time degree-seeking student, am I eligible for financial aid?

A part-time degree-seeking graduate student carrying at least 4.5 credit hours per semester is eligible for financial aid.

Internship and Career Opportunities


Where at GVSU can I obtain assistance finding graduate student internship opportunities or job search advice?

GVSU's Career Services  can assist you with internship opportunities as well as job opportunities in your chosen field. Click on Career Services  to access the department's website.




Is housing on campus available for graduate students?

Currently, there are no housing options strictly for graduate students; however, housing options do exist on both the Allendale and Grand Rapids campuses for both undergraduate and graduate students. For more information about campus housing, please follow the link:

Child Care


Is child care provided on campus?

Yes there are a few types of highly qualified child care options at GVSU. Please use the following links for more information on child care options:

Children's Enrichment Center (Allendale)

YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids

Tuition and Fees


How much is tuition?

Current tuition rates and other costs of attendance can be found here.


When do I pay for classes?

For information on payment dates as well as deferment plans, please use the following link: Payment Options - Student Accounts - Grand Valley State University


Out of State Tuition

Please note: Grand Valley does not charge a higher tuition rate based on residency. Tuition is based on the program in which you chose to enroll. Visit the financial aid office webpage for tuition and fees.

Page last modified March 2, 2022