Master of Science in Biology
Grand Valley State University's Master of Science degree in biology is designed to allow students the opportunity to study at a graduate level in broad areas such as genetics and cell biology, organismal biology, aquatic and terrestrial ecology, and natural resources. Students in our program have access to the DNA sequencing facility located at the Annis Water Resources Institute (AWRI).
Find out more about the M.S. in Biology program by listening to our program podcast.
Career Outlook and Opportunities
AVERAGE SALARY RANGE
EXPECTED BY 2024
OFFERS UNIQUE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
Biology is an exciting and lucrative field for biologists with graduate degrees. According to study.com the national salary for biologists with graduate degrees range from $60,520 - $70,820 and environmental specialists field, in particular, are expected to grow 11% by 2024. Biologists with a graduate degree from GVSU hold the following job titles:
- Resources manager
- Environmental specialist
- Water quality specialist
- Research scientist
- Field technician
- Wildlife biologist
Why study Biology at Grand Valley?
- Professional Advancement. Programs can be tailored for professionals to make them more competitive for job placement or advancement.
- Unique. Individualized, planned program of study established by the student and his/her advisor ensures a unique learning experience designed to meet individual goals.
- Research Opportunities. Optional natural resources or aquatic sciences emphases provide opportunities to conduct research and take classes at the Annis Water Resources Institute in Muskegon.
- Flexible. Available to full- or part-time students. Many classes are offered at times to accommodate working professionals.
The Biology M.S. program is a minimum of 33 credits. All program plans will include the following three components:
- The core curriculum
- A student's chosen emphasis
- An internship, project, or thesis
See the full course list.
The Biology M.S. application deadline is January 15. The $30 application fee is waived if you’ve already applied to Grand Valley.