About Us: University Counseling Center
To enhance the healthy development of our diverse GVSU community through prevention and education, psychological services, and consultation.
The University Counseling Center strives to be recognized by students as an essential resource for enhancing individual well-being and academic success and by the university community as a critical, integral factor in achieving the institutional mission. Characterized as dynamic, proactive, and innovative in responding to the needs of a diverse university community, the Center maintains highly competent staff, continually evolving service and training practices, and effective use of resources. Our values include endeavoring to model compassion, caring, and commitment in interactions within the Center, the University, and the broader community.
- We promote a culture of compassion, respect, and affirmation for diverse populations and perspectives.
- We recognize the relationship between mind, body, and spirit and the importance of self-care in maintaining personal health and emotional well-being.
- We embrace a community ethic, evidenced in consensual decision-making and mutual support promoting individual and organizational well-being.
- We support ongoing professional development as a critical factor in continually enhancing staff competence and the effectiveness of our training and service practices.
- We value collaborative, interdependent connections with other members of the university community.
The Grand Valley State University Counseling Center is committed to providing culturally sensitive services to GVSU students and the campus community. The staff of the Counseling Center place high value on issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity. We recognize the variety of cultures, backgrounds, and experiences of our students and know these components create their individual identities.
Multicultural competency is core to the work we do each day. We strive to provide safe and affirming spaces for students to discuss concerns they face through the lens of their identities. We acknowledge the impact of power, privilege, oppression, stereotypes, and discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status, weight and other identities. We work to create spaces for students to feel heard, accepted, and affirmed. We recognize that being culturally humble is a lifelong journey. We are committed to this journey and continue with ongoing professional and personal development in this area.
Student-Centered Outcomes Assessment: Learn more about our student-centered outcomes by accessing the report below.
Strategic Plan: Review where we are focusing our efforts.
A Year in Review: Access a snapshot of our utilization statistics below.
Meet Our Staff: We have a large staff focusing on the needs of the GVSU community.