Academic Policies & Procedures

There are a number of processes at Grand Valley to assist you, the student, to appeal various academic situations. Our department assists with the academic policies listed below. You can download each form by clicking on a blue button.

Academic Forgiveness
This process is for an undergraduate student who has not performed well in a major they have selected and wishes to change or has already changed to a different major. Working with an academic advisor, a student can appeal to the Academic Review Committee for Academic Forgiveness. Students should consult an advisor to determine if academic forgiveness is an appropriate option.


Complete Withdrawal
Students who want to stop attending Grand Valley must submit a Complete Withdrawal Form to the Registrar's Office, 150 Lubbers Student Services Center (STU) or before classes end for the semester in which they wish to withdraw.


Tuition Refund Appeal Application

The University does recognize that there are times when a student experiences an extenuating or unexpected emergency or hardship that interferes with the student’s ability to attend and/or successfully complete classes that may warrant an exception or appeal. In unique circumstances, these may also justify a partial or full tuition refund. For questions, please contact or 616-331-3327. 

Course Withdrawal Use Registration and Drop/Add Course Form
Before withdrawal deadline:  A student may withdraw in myBanner from a course and receive a grade of W by the end of the ninth week or when the completed Registration and Drop/Add Form is presented to the Records Office, 150 Lubbers Student Services Center (STU) or

After withdrawal deadline:  Students who do not withdraw before the deadline must accept a grade other than W depending on the instructor's judgment of their performance in the course(s) and any mitigating circumstances.  Undergraduate students who request an exception of the withdrawal deadline due to extenuating circumstances must submit all of the below to the director of Student Success Programs at for a decision.  Students should continue attending class until notification of a final decision about their appeal is received.

  • Present their explanation of appeal
  • Registration and Drop/Add Form which is signed by their professor and department chair of each course
  • At least one statement of support from the professor or department chair of each course


Course Withdrawal Deadlines:

Course Drop/Add and Refund Schedule

Credit Overload Request Use Registration and Drop/Add Course Form
Students who wish to take more than 20 credits in one semester must submit a Drop/Add Course Form with their advisor's signature of approval on it, along with a statement explaining why they need to take this higher credit load. Requests should be submitted to the Student Academic Success Center, for a decision.

Petition to Return
A student would need to complete this process to apply for readmission to Grand Valley. Per the GVSU catalog, "A dismissed student may apply for readmission after a period of one calendar year. Evidence of maturity and improved attitude toward academics and the written support of the student's academic advisor must accompany the application for readmission." A complete petition will include the following:

  • Petition to Return form
  • Letter of support from your academic advisor
  • A detailed academic plan for your major
  • Any documentation that supports your appeal, i.e., medical records, academic transcripts, etc.
  • Appeal letter that includes any detailed information you could not fit on the Petition to Return form

Petition to Return requests are submitted to the Records Office at 150 Lubbers Student Services Center (STU) or by 5pm on deadline dates.

Petition to Return Winter 2022 Deadlines:

  • not enrolled at GVSU Fall 2021:
    December 17, 2021 by 5pm
  • enrolled at GVSU Fall 2021:
    January 10, 2022 by 5pm


Petition to Return Fall 2021 Deadlines:

  • not enrolled at GVSU Spring/Summer 2021:
    August 16, 2021 by 5pm
  • enrolled at GVSU Spring/Summer 2021:
    August 30, 2021 by 5pm

Residency Waiver
Students should file a Residency Waiver appeal if they want to take courses at another institution while in their last 30 credits at Grand Valley. An academic advisor must sign the form in support of the request. Appeals should be submitted to the Student Academic Success Center, for a decision.


Student Concern
This process is for students who want to appeal a course evaluation and/or substitution for General Education Foundation/Culture requirements. A complete application will include the following:

  • Student Concern form
  • Any attachments

Appeals should be submitted to for review.