CCESS 2021 Highlights
CCESS 2021 Highlights
Grand Valley State University’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Regional Math and Science Center, and Geography and Sustainable Planning Department welcome you to the Climate Change Education Solutions Summit (CCESS), which will take place November 3rd - 5th, 2021 in a virtual format.
CCESS 2021: Program Highlights
Wednesday, November 3, 2021 (GMT-4:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- 4:00 p.m. Welcome to GVSU by Jesse Bernal, Chief of Staff to the President, Vice President for Inclusion & Equity.
- 4:10 p.m. Opening address by George Heartwell, the CCESS Honorary Chair, 2004-2016 Mayor of the city of Grand Rapids.
- 4:30 - 5 p.m. Keynote address by Alison Waske Sutter, Sustainability and Performance Management Officer, City of Grand Rapids
How can cities elevate climate vulnerability and lead with justice?
- 5:15 - 6 p.m. Round Table Discussion Community Action for Climate Justice with Alison Waske Sutter, Margrethe Kearney (Senior Attorney, Environmental Law and Policy Center), Monica Lewis-Patrick, President and CEO, We the People of Detroit), Sergio Cira Reyes (Director for Community Engagement at Urban Core Collective), and James Clift (Deputy Director, at Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy), moderated by Dr. Yumiko Jakobcic (Office of Sustainability Practices, GVSU).
Thursday, November 4, 2021 (GMT-4:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- 11:00 - 11:40 a.m. Keynote address by Dr. Erik Nordman, Professor of Natural Resources Management, GVSU Collaborative Climate Action: Scaling up from local to global commons. Introduction by Dr. Donovan Anderson, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, GVSU.
- 2:00 - 2:45 p.m. Panel discussion Education for Climate Justice with April Lindala (Professor of Native American Studies, NMU), Dr. Azizur Molla (Professor of Public Health, GVSU), Dr. Paul Clements (Professor of Political Science, WMU), and Dr. Jean-Paul Vanderlinden (Professor of Ecological Economics and Environmental Studies, University of Versailles, France), moderated by Dr. Elena Lioubimtseva (Professor of Geography and Sustainable Planning, GVSU).
- 5:00 - 5:50 p.m. The Power of Climate Storytelling Workshop with Jothsna Harris., Climate Generation.
Friday, November 5, 2021 (GMT-4:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- 9:00 - 9:50 a.m. Share your climate story conversation ( a follow up discussion based on The Power of Climate Storytelling Workshop (not recorded).
- 10:00 - 10:50 a.m. Find your Voice Expo featuring student organization, local chapters of citizens' organizations and student academic programs working on advancement of environmental justice and climate action.
This event is sponsored by the GVSU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Michigan Space Grant Consortium, Regional Math and Science Center, Geography and Sustainable Planning Department, the GVSU Career Center, and the Office of Sustainable Practices.
For more information, please contact the CCESS Planning Committee Chair, Dr. Elena Lioubimtseva at [email protected].